Contact
 
 
County
Llano
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 3,232
2000 Census - 3,325
Nearby
Towns
Llano, Texas
null
Llano Texas History:
For over 12,000 years the numerous springs, and abundance of plants and wildlife attracted humans to the Llano area. The Tonkawa Indians were living in the area when the first Europeans arrived in 1535. The Tonkawa were displaced by the Apache who were displaced by the Comanche. The town of Llano was established in 1856 by the Texas legislature as the county seat of the newly formed Llano County. John Oatman, Sr. and Armariah Wilson, and the Chester B. Starks estate provide 250 acres on the Llano River for the townsite. The last battle with the Comanche was fought in 1873 a few miles east of Llano on Packsaddle Mountain. With the Indian threat gone, the area started to thrive with the arrival of ranchers, shop keepers, and industry. By 1970, the town was a frontier trading center with businesses located in log cabins, a post office and several homes. By the 1880s, a number of businesses were serving area farmers and ranchers. The 1885 brick county courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1892. The current courthouse was built in 1893. Llano’s boom years occurred from 1886 to 1893 when iron deposits were developed at Iron Mountain. The small Llano River Dam and street lights were completed at this time. Llano incorporated in 1892, the same year the Llano River Bridge was completed, and the Austin and Northwestern Railroad extended a line to Llano. The arrival of the railroad made possible the development of granite cutting and finishing businesses. Many of the town’s brick buildings on the public square were completed during this time. During the 1930s, Llano was a major shipping center for cattle, and during the 1930s, cotton was an important industry. Farming, ranching and the granite industry were important to the local economy during the 1900s, and remain so. The beautiful Roy Inks Llano River Bridge was constructed in 1935. The town has several National Register historic properties including the Llano County Courthouse and Jail, the Southern Hotel and the Badu Building. Visitors can stroll both sides of the river in the commercial district. The Historic Railroad District features improved sidewalks and lightening linking both sides of the river. Rodeo is a popular sport in Llano; competitions occur year round. The highest density of deer in the nation leads to fabulous deer hunting, and gives Llano the title, “Deer Hunting Capital of Texas.” Turkey, quail, and dove hunting are also popular. This neat little town is located on the Llano River at the intersections of SH 71, SH 16, and SH 29, 33.8 miles east of Mason, 53 miles southeast of Brady, 31.3 miles southeast of Fredonia, 32.5 miles south of San Saba, 51.6 miles southwest of Lampasas, 17.8 miles southwest of Tow, 29.6 miles west of Burnet, 16.7 miles west of Lake Buchanan and the town of Buchanan Dam, 42 miles northwest of Spicewood, 37 miles northwest of Marble Falls, 20 miles northwest of Kingsland, 50 miles northwest of Johnson City, 38.4 miles northeast of Fredericksburg, and 20 miles slightly northeast of Castell, Texas.
 
Former Town of Bluffton, Texas:
(New) Bluffton is located near the western shore of Lake Buchanan and the intersection of CR 261 and FM 2241, 12 miles northeast of Llano, and 5 miles west of the original Bluffton which was inundated when Lake Buchanan was impounded in 1937. Portions of SH 29 between Burnet and Llano were also covered by lake waters. In July 2009, the waters of Lake Buchanan were low enough that traces of the town were uncovered and portions of old SH 29 were also exposed; there was also quick sand. For those that wanted to view what little was exposed, Vanishing Texas River Cruise offered a cruise and a 25 minute hike to the site. If you are interested in viewing the site should it reappear, call them at (800) 474-8374. (512) 756-6986.  Walking Tour by Mike Cox  Old Bluffton Photos of Reappearance
 
Historic Pontotoc, Texas and San Fernando Academy:
Settlers began arriving in the area in the 1850s. Benjamin J. Willis and five other families arrived in 1959. By 1878, the Pontotoc community was established. The post office opened in 1880. The San Fernando Academy was established in 1882. It drew people to the area, and at one time had almost 200 students. The town was supported by the cotton, wool, cattle hide, and pecan industries. The 1887 typhoid fever epidemic killed most of the town residents. The cemetery became so full it had to close. The lack of rail service and the 1890 closing of the San Fernando Academy doomed the town. The town of Pontotoc is located at the intersection of SH 71 and FM 501 in northeastern Mason County Texas, 23 miles northwest of Llano, and 25miles northeast of Mason, Texas.
 
Historic Roy Inks Llano River Bridge:
The 1935 Roy Inks Bridge on SH 16 spans the Llano River, a tributary of the Colorado River. The spring fed Llano River is located in the Llano Uplift, and is filled with granite boulders and shrub covered islands. It is periodically stocked with trout. Rock hounds love the area for the abundance of amethyst, azurite, dolomites, galena, garnet quartz, serpentine, gold traces, and Llanite, a bluish quartz found only in the Llano River. 
 
Llano County Courthouse, 1893:
The courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by A.O. Watson and Jacob Larmour. According to Texas Escapes, "The architectural firm of Larmour & Watson was apparently dissolved during the construction of this building, which is why only Watson's name is on the cornerstone.”  A "Doughboy"  statue is located on the Courthouse lawn. The Confederate Monument was sculpted by James K. Finlay and sons in 1916. The World War I Monument was sculpted by German sculptor Frank Teich. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historic Landmark. (325) 247-7730. 801 Ford Street.
 
Llano County “Red Top” Jail, 1895:
The jail was designed in Romanesque revival style and built from Llano County granite. It originally had a red roof, causing inmates to refer to the jail as “Red Top.” The first floor was used for living quarters and office space. The second floor had four cells and two drunk tanks. The fourth and fifth floors housed the gallows. The building was used as a jail until the late 1970s. The jail is open for tours during some Llano events, or sometimes by special arrangement. The jail is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historic Landmark. (325) 247-4158. 700 Oatman Street.