Contact
 
 
County
Hockley
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 13,542
2000 Census - 12,866
Nearby
Towns
Levelland, Texas
null
Levelland Texas History:
The settlement of Hockley City was surveyed by Charles W. Post in 1912. The town was developed and renamed Levelland in 1921 when it was named the county seat of the newly formed Hockley County. The Santa Fe Railway built a line through the area in 1925. Businesses in the 1950s include an oil refinery, a gas plant, oil service related industries, cotton presses, warehouses, gins, and grain elevators. The Hockley County library was established in the 1950s, the South Plains College opened in 1958, and the South Plains Museum opened in 1968. Today major industries include cotton farming and other agricultural products, and petroleum refining and related industries. Levelland is located at the intersection of SH 114 and U.S. 385, 55 miles southeast of Muleshoe, 26 miles southeast of Morton, 68 miles south of Dimmitt, 24 miles south of Littlefield, 64 miles southwest of Hale Center, 76 miles southwest of Plainview, 68.5 miles west of Crosbyton, 31 miles west of Lubbock, and 29.6 miles northwest of Brownfield, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Quanah Parker Arrow Trail Arrow at Yellowhouse Geological Formation:
The Casas Amarillas (Spanish for yellow houses) is a geological formation near Levelland. This formation was named by early explorers because from a distance the formation looks like yellow houses. This historic landmark became a trading post for buffalo hunters, freighters, and cattlemen.
 
Levelland Texas Historical Marker Text:
Surveyed and Platted in 1912 as “Hockley City” by Cereal Magnate C.W. Post. Although only a Barren Townsite, Place won race for County Seat in 1921. The first meeting of county officers was held at future courthouse site – in a Cadillac automobile. Soon City Square boasted a temporary courthouse (16X32 Feet), a well, and a community black-eyed pea patch. When a post office opened, in 1922, city was renamed Levelland for its topography. Prosperity arrived with the coming of the railroad in 1925 and discovery of oil in the county in 1937. The marker is located on the courthouse square. Levelland Texas Historical Marker Text:
 
Hockley County Courthouse, 1928:
The stone and concrete courthouse was designed in classical revival by architect Preston Lee Walker. 802 Houston Street. The 2010 Hockley County census was 22,935. (806) 894-6856. 802 Houston Street.
 
Whiteface Historical Museum:
The museum is housed in the 1926 Whiteface Hotel building. It features exhibits depicting the history of Whiteface and the surrounding area. (806) 287-1182. The museum and the community gazebo are located on 2nd Street, across from the Whiteface City Hall. Whitehouse is located on SH 125, 12 miles southeast of Morton and 14.4 miles west of Levelland, Texas. Whiteface Map
 
Levelland's Outdoor Mosaic Walls:
Levelland, the “City of Mosaics” has 9 fine mosaics located throughout downtown. The mosaics are located at the Fine Arts Building, the Student Services Building, the Science-Agriculture Buildings at South Plains College (1401 S. College Avenue), Methodist Hospital (1900 College Avenue), Levelland Clinic, the Adult Learning Center, the Hockley County Library, and at the Levelland Area Chamber of Commerce. Information & Tour Map  
 
Marjorie Merriweather Post Art Collection, South Plains College:
The collection includes 18th to 20th century oil paintings and one 18th century pastel drawing. The collection is housed in the gallery addition of the Christine DeVitt Fine Arts Center at the college. (806) 716-2261. (806) 716-2270. The college is located at 1401 S. College Avenue. Email
 
South Plains College:
The college’s country and bluegrass music program hosts concerts at its Tom T. Hall Recording and Production Studio. (806) 894-9611. (806) 885.3048. 1401 S. College Avenue.
 
Hockley County Memorial Library:
The library building was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. It provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Wed, Fri, 9am-5pm; Thu, 9am-7pm. (806) 894-6750. 611 Austin Street.