Contact
 
 
Counties
Gregg, Rusk
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 12,975
2000 Census - 11,301
Nearby
Towns
Kilgore, Texas
null
Kilgore Texas History:
The area was first settled prior to the mid-1860s by southern planters, but a community did not develop. In 1872, the International-Great Northern Railroad constructed a line between Longview and Palestine, bypassing the community of New Danville. They platted a new town which they named for Constantine Buckley Kilgore who sold the 174 acre townsite to the railroad. Many New Danville residents and businesses moved to Kilgore to be closer to the railroad. The Kilgore post office was established in 1873. By 1885, Kilgore had two gristmill-cotton gins, a church, a school, and 250 residents. In 1929 Kilgore had 1,000 residents. Like many rural Texas farming communities during the 1930s, Kilgore suffered from the Great Depression and from falling cotton prices. Kilgore incorporated in 1930. By the mid-1930s, the town had less than 500 residents. The discovery of the East Texas oil field at Joinerville on October 3, 1930 eventually led to the discovery of oil in Kilgore, transforming the Kilgore into a boom town. By 1936, the town had over 12,000 residents, and at the height of the boom, Kilgore had over 1,000 producing wells within the city limits. One city block had 24 producing oil derricks, the largest concentration of oil derricks in the world, and causing the block to be named the “World’s Richest Acre.” Kilgore became a center for the oil production and services industries. By the late 1930s, most of the boom had played out, and many independent producers had been bought out by the major oil companies. The oil industry is still important to the town’s economy. Kilgore is located several miles south of the Sabine River at the intersections of U.S. 259, SH 135, SH 42 and SH 31, 48 miles southeast of Mineola, 36 miles southeast of Lindale, 30 miles southeast of Hawkins, 14 miles southeast of Gladewater and Lake Gladewater, 49 miles southeast of Pittsburg, 30 miles southeast of Tyler State Park, 28 miles south of Gilmer, 50.5 miles southwest of Daingerfield and Lake Daingerfield, 33 miles southwest of Ore City and Lake O’ The Pines, 35 miles southwest of Marshall, 12 miles southwest of Longview, 44 miles northwest of Carthage, 35 miles northwest of Martin Creek Lake State Park, 36 miles northwest of Mount Enterprise, 27 miles northwest of Tatum, 19 miles northwest of Henderson, 42 miles northeast of Jacksonville, 31 miles northeast of Whitehouse and Tyler Lake, 18 miles north of Joinerville, 11.8 miles northeast of New London, 11 miles northeast of Overton, and 26 miles slightly northeast of Tyler, Texas.
 
World's Richest Acre Park:
This 0.5 acre park is called the World’s Richest Acre because the greatest concentration of oil wells in the world was once located here. The park was once home to 24 oil wells that yielded 2.5 million barrels of oil. One of these wells was drilled through the floor of the Kilgore National Bank. The original oil derrick and 12 restored oil derricks are located in the park. The derricks are topped with stars which are lighted during the Christmas season. At the height of the East Texas oil boom Kilgore had over 1,200 wells which were located on almost every street corner. The park hosts the seasonal Saturday morning Derrick Farmer’s Market and is located at the intersection of Main and Commerce Streets. 
 
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
Kilgore's Four WPA Post Office Murals:
Xavier Gonzalez painted all four of Kilgore’s murals in 1941. The murals include "Drilling for Oil,"  "Pioneer Saga,” “Music of the Plains,” “and "Contemporary Youth." All four murals are located in the East Texas Oil Museum on the campus of Kilgore Community College. (903) 983-8295. Gonzalez also painted the Mission, Texas mural titled “West Texas Landscape.” Campus Maps   
 
East Texas Oil Museum:
This museum is a recreated oil boom town with oil derricks and equipment, a gas pump, service station, a general store selling merchandise, a drugstore offering 1930s music on a jukebox and serving refreshments, a newspaper office offering the Boomtown paper, a barbershop where you listen to the latest oilfield gossip, a museum, and a movie theater whose film details the drilling of a gusher oil well. There also is a simulated 3,800 foot elevator ride to the oil foundations of the earth. The lobby walls feature hand-painted oil production murals and photos of famous oil men. The museum also contains church, school, transportation and H.L. Hunt exhibits. Open Tue-Sat, 9am-4pm; Sun, 2pm-5pm. The museum is open until 5pm, April through September. A special holiday schedule runs from December 20th to January 1st. The museum is closed Mondays, Easter and Thanksgiving. Guided tours are available by reservation only; small fee applies. (903) 983-8295. The museum is located on the Kilgore College campus at the intersection of U.S. 259 (Henderson Street) and Ross Street. Email  Campus Maps
 
Rangerette Showcase & Museum:
The museum features a mechanized display of Rangerette props, a display of costumes from the Rangerette Revels, the spring stage show, and thousands of photographs and newspaper clippings. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm; Sat, 10am-4pm. Admission is free. Group tours are available by appointment. (903) 983-8265. The museum is located in the Physical Education Complex on the Kilgore College campus at the intersection of Ross and Broadway Streets, one block east of U.S. 259 (Henderson Street). 1100 Broadway Street. Campus Maps
 
Crim Theater:
This one screen theater was built in the early 1930s. It originally had 875 seats. Theater renovations began in the 1990s. The neon marquee has been restored. The Kilgore Main Street Program is raising money to complete the restoration. Fund raising events are periodically held in the theater. The theater is located at 112 South Kilgore Street. (903) 984-1333. Email   
 
Van Cliburn Auditorium at Kilgore College:
This 195 seat auditorium is located in the Anne Dean Turk Fine Arts Center at Kilgore College. 1116 South Henderson Boulevard. (903) 983-8601. Box Office Email  Campus Maps
 
Dodson Auditorium, Kilgore College:
This 1,200 seat auditorium is located on the Kilgore College Campus. It hosts graduation ceremonies, the Rangerette Revels, concerts, theatre productions and other events. (903) 983-8635. 913 Nolan Avenue. Email   Campus Maps
 
Kilgore Community Concert Association:
This concert series is part of the Community Concert Association which hosts affordable shows performed by renowned artists and touring companies from all over the world. Attendance is by subscription only. Membership allows individuals to attend performances in Greenville , Terrell, Kilgore, Irving and Tyler under a reciprocity agreement. Tickets, performance & reciprocity schedules will be mailed prior to the first concert. Kilgore concerts are held in the Dodson Auditorium on the Kilgore College campus at 1100 Broadway, Kilgore, TX 75662. Concert Association: (903) 983-2834. 14 Rim Road. Campus Maps      
 
Kilgore College:
(903) 984-8531. 1100 Broadway, Kilgore, TX 75662. Campus Maps
 
Kilgore College Rangerettes:
The Rangerettes were formed in 1939 by Miss. Gussie Nell Davis as a way to attract more women students, and as a way to keep people in their seats during football game halftimes. The world famous, Rangerettes were the world’s first precision dance drill team. They have performed for national and international audiences, and have performed in the New Year's Cotton Bowl Classic in Dallas each year since 1951. 
 
Kilgore Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library is located in a beautiful historical French Provincial style building that is listed as a Texas Historical Landmark. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; closed Saturdays & Sundays. (903) 984-1529. 301 N. Henderson Boulevard. Contacts
 
East Texas Pump Jacks Baseball at the 1947 Driller Park:
The team’s home field is the 4,500 seat historic 1947 Driller Park which was built with raw materials from the oil patch. The stadium is a Texas Historical Landmark. Baseball game activities include fireworks, promotions, contests, mascots, music and food. (903) 218-4638. The Driller Park Field is in Harris Street Park at 100 Harris Street, approximately a mile south of downtown Kilgore. Email