Contact
 
 
County
Dawson
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 9,422
2000 Census - 9,952
Nearby
Towns
Lamesa, Texas
null
Lamesa Texas History:
The town was platted in 1903 by Frank Connor and several others. The Lamesa post office and a school were established in 1904. In a 1905 election, Lamesa was voted county seat over Stemmons by five votes. Lamesa residents then gave Stemmons businesses free lots and helped residents and businesses move their buildings to Lamesa. In 1916, the Santa Fe Railway extended a line to the town. Electrical service became available in 1916. Today the town is a commercial and marketing center for area ranchers and farmers, has light manufacturing and the oil industry businesses. Lamesa’s oldest house is a three story house built from a Sears and Roebuck kit. The Lamesa Lobos played from 1939-1952 for the West Texas-New Mexico professional baseball league. Lamesa is located at the intersections of U.S. 180, SH 137 and U.S. 87, 62 miles south of Lubbock, 63 miles west of Snyder, 32 miles west of Gail, 44.5 miles northwest of Big Spring, 45 miles northwest of Stanton, 49.8 miles northeast of Andrews, 43 miles southeast of Seagraves, 56 miles slightly northeast of Midland, 41 miles east of Seminole, and 37.8 miles southeast of Brownfield, Texas.  
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Lamesa Landmarks:
A tall smokestack and car are perched on top of the roof of the country store at 603 North Lynn Avenue at U.S. 87. The smokestack is a remnant of the building’s former use as a powdered milk plant in the late 1920s. Gordon Waldrop put the 1955 Cadillac on the roof after he purchased the building for use as a farm and ranch supply business in the 1970s. Waldrop’s antique car display is located inside the building. The “Wall” located in the 400 block of South 2nd Street was built in the 1920s or early 1930s. Lamesa High School seniors traditionally decorate the wall with art work and their names. The 16 foot tall fiberglass statue of the “Big Lady,” or “Bertha Bethel” was originally installed in front of the Reid Bethel Tire Company (310 South Dallas Avenue) to advertise Uniroyal tires in the early 1960s. It was repainted to resemble a Lamesa high school golden tornado cheerleader.
 
Dawson County Courthouse, 1916:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architects Sanguinet and Staats. A 1952 renovation by architects Allen & Allen transformed the courthouse into a modern building. The wonderful exterior murals were painted by a former Dawson County jail inmate. The 2010 Dawson County census was 13,833. (806) 872-7544. 401 South 1st Street