Contact
 
 
County
Galveston
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 1,773
2000 Census - 2,330
Nearby
Towns
Kemah, Texas
null
Kemah Texas History:
Kemah was established as the town of Evergreen on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in approximately 1898. It was renamed Kemah when the post office was established in 1907. By 1907 Kemah had 200 residents, four hay producers, farm homes, and summer homes belonging to Houston and Galveston residents. Between 1943 and 1965 Kemah had 200 residents. It incorporated and reached a high of 2,000 residents and 43 businesses in 1970 before it started declining. Once a shrimping town, Kemah continues to celebrate an annual August Blessing of the Fleet. The Kemah Boardwalk revived the town by establishing Kemah as a tourist destination. Kemah is home to the third largest fleet of recreational boats in America. Kipp Avenue is the primary beach road. Kemah is located on Galveston Bay and the mouth of Clear Lake on the east side of SH 146 and FM 518, 14.7 miles east of Friendswood, 40 miles southeast of Houston, 9.6 miles southeast of Clear Lake City, 1 mile southeast of Clear Lake Shores, 6.7 miles east of Nassau Bay, 1.5 miles south of Seabrook, 7.7 miles south of La Porte, 5.9 miles northeast of League City, 15.4 miles northwest of Texas City, and 25.7 miles northwest of Galveston, Texas.
 
Kemah Visitor Center, Railroad Museum & Schoolhouse Museum:
The renovated original schoolhouse has been moved to the corner of 6th and Bradford Streets. It houses the Kemah Historical Society, the Kemah Visitors Center, the Old Railroad Station Museum and the Old Kemah School Museum. The walkway features memory bricks which may be purchased and inscribed with a name. The Center is open daily. (281) 334-3181. (877) 775-3624. It is located at the Kemah Plaza at 604 Bradford Street.