Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 6,703
2000 Census - 6,490
Kaufman, Texas
Kaufman Texas History: 
The area was originally inhabited by Caddo, Cherokee, Comanche, Delaware and Kickapoo Indians. In 1840, Mississippian Dr. William P. King led 40 families to the area. King purchased 2.5 acres and built what became known as “Kings Fort” on a hilltop. The community that grew up around the fort was called Kingsboro. The Kingsboro post office was established in 1849. In 1852, Kingsboro became the county seat of Kaufman County, established in 1848, and was renamed Kaufman. King’s former wife, Francis Taber, donated most of the land for the county seat. By the late 1860s, Kaufman had over 500 residents. Kaufman incorporated in 1872, and reincorporated in 1881. In 1883, the Texas Trunk Railway built a line to Kaufman. In 1885, the Texas Central Railroad built a line between Kaufman and Dallas. Kaufman became a shipping center for area farmers. Kaufman continued to grow, and by 1900 it had three newspapers, sixty businesses and approximately 2,300 residents. Kaufman is located approximately 13 miles east of the Trinity River at the intersections of SH 243, SH 34 and U.S. 175, 35 miles southeast of Dallas, 28 miles southeast of Mesquite, 30.5 miles southeast of Rockwall and Lake Ray Hubbard, 52 miles southeast of Wylie and Lavon Lake, 22 miles southeast of Forney, 12 miles south of Terrell, 44 miles southwest of Greenville, 28 miles southwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 52 miles southwest of Emory and Lake Fork, 24 miles southwest of Wills Point, 27 miles slightly northwest of Canton, 39.6 miles northwest of Athens, 28 miles northwest of Eustace and Purtis Creek State Park, 26 miles northwest of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 41 miles northeast of Waxahachie, 30 miles northeast of Lake Bardwell, 26.7 miles northeast of Ennis, and 42.5 miles northeast of Joe Pool Lake and Cedar Hill, Texas. 
Vietnam Memorial Wall of Texas:
This wall is a replica of the Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington D.C, and is 20% smaller. The Kaufman wall was completed in 1997. It toured continuously until it was purchased by Kaufman County in 2008. The wall is 370 feet long and eight feet tall at its highest point. 58,253 names are listed on the wall. When completely finished, it will be lighted like the D.C. wall. Individuals or groups may purchase Memorial Bricks. The memorial is located adjacent to the Kaufman Veteran’s Memorial Park at 3970 South Houston Street, 75142.
Kaufman County Veterans Memorial Park:
The memorial lists the names of Kaufman County residents who were KIA or MIA. This park is located adjacent to the Kaufman County Library. 3700 S. Houston Street (FM 1388). 
Kaufman County Courthouse, 1956:
This modern courthouse was designed by Architects A. Warren Morey and McGill of Dallas. It was built of brick, steel, aluminum and black marble. The former 1887 courthouse was stunning. A confederate statue is located on the front lawn of the current courthouse. The 2010 Kaufman County census was 103,350. (972) 932-4331. 100 West Mulberry Street.
Kaufman County Poor Farm Project:
This farm was created in 1883 to provide housing and necessities for the indigent. The farm later housed prisoners who were incarcerated due to minor offences. The Kaufman County Historical Commission owns a 99 year, renewable lease the 27 acres located on SH 34 between the Kaufman County Jail and the Kaufman County Fairgrounds. The property includes a stock pond, original buildings such as the superintendent's residence, a dining hall, dormitory, silo, water well and well house, blacksmith shop, barns, chapel, and other outbuildings. The old jailhouse is also located on the property. Many vintage farm implements, tools and utensils used on the farm are still in place. The historical commission plans to renovate the buildings as a museum. (469) 376-4121.   
Trinity Valley Community College Health Science Center:
(972) 932-4309. The college is located at 800 SH 243 West, Kaufman, TX 75142.
Kaufman County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. A book drop is located adjacent to the sub-courthouse building in Kemp, Texas. Open Mon, Tue & Thu, 10am-6pm; Wed, 10am-5pm; Fri, 10am-4pm; sat, 9am-1pm; closed Sunday. (972) 932-6222. 3790 S. Houston Street.