Contact
 
 
Counties
Fort Bend, Harris, Waller
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 14,102
2000 Census - 11,775
Nearby
Towns
Katy, Texas
null
Katy Texas History:
Formerly called Cane Island, Katy was renamed after the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT or Katy Railroad) which served Katy in the 1800s. In 1989, the Katy Railroad was merged into Union Pacific.  Cane Island Creek, a branch of the Buffalo Bayou, runs through the area located west of downtown. In 1872, Thomas and Mary Robinson founded a farm on 200 acres of land on Cane Island Creek. The next settlers to arrive were Peter and Ophelia Black from Addicks, Texas; the Blacks founded their farm in 1887. The Robinsons and Blacks were the only settlers in the area until 1895 when other settlers began arriving. James Oliver Thomas was one of these 1895 settlers. He purchased 320 acres of land and laid out the town of Katy, settling aside land for a park on Cane Island Creek, and for the town square. The 1900 hurricane destroyed all of the buildings in the town of Katy, except the homes of J.H. Wright, and the Featherston family home; the town was rebuilt. Most of the original area of Katy (Old Katy), including the area rebuilt after the 1900 storm, and before the 1970s, is located north of IH-10. The Katy area, but not the City of Katy, lies within the Houston’s extraterritorial jurisdiction, giving Houston the right to annex Katy in the future. In 1897, the Eule family arrived from Germany and introduced rice farming to the area. Katy is still an agricultural area with rice being the major crop. One of the nation’s biggest gas fields was discovered in the Katy area in the 1934, bringing jobs and prosperity to the area. When the high school wins State in football, the year is added to the water tower. Katy is located at the intersections of IH-10, U.S. 90 and FM 1463, 59 miles northeast of Wharton, 28.5 miles northeast of Wallis, 22.5 miles east of Sealy, 19 miles east of San Felipe, 42 miles south of Tomball, 13.5 miles southwest of Addicks, 29 miles west of Houston, 29 miles northwest of Missouri City, 19 miles north of Rosenberg and Richmond, and 29.5 miles north of Needville, Texas. 
 
Historic City of Katy, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Karankawa Indians hunted buffalo on this site as late as the 1820s. Present Fifth Street follows the course of the San Felipe Road, which was opened to Austin's colony in that decade. In 1836 Santa Anna used that road in his march toward San Jacinto. This site was in the 1839 land grant of Republic of Texas citizen James J. Crawford. In 1863 at their camp on San Felipe Road, 35 Confederate soldiers died and were buried in the locality. Cane Island, the original settlement, was known as a stagecoach stop. Developers platted Katy town site after Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad ("The Katy Line") reached this point in 1895. The post office opened Jan. 23, 1896, in the postmaster's mercantile store. In 1897, William Eule grew a rice crop, initiating the locality's major industry. Eule's son Fred dug an irrigation well for the rice fields in 1899. The 1900 hurricane razed or damaged all improvements except two houses in Katy, but the town was soon rebuilt. Beginning in 1927, nearby petroleum developments enhanced the local economy. Incorporated in 1945, the town had 849 people in 1950 and 3800 by 1970. It is a tri-county municipality, lying in Fort Bend, Harris, and Waller counties.” 5200 Second Avenue.
 
Karankawa Indians:
The nomadic Karankawa Indians lived along the Texas Gulf Coast from the western end of Galveston Island to Corpus Christi. Many warriors were over 6 feet tall. Men wore their hair to their waists. They were heavily tattooed and wore shell ornaments. They pierced each nipple and their bottom lip with small pieces of cane. They greased their bodies with shark liver oil to ward off mosquitoes and other insects. During the summer months they survived by moving inland and hunting with long bows. During the winters they fished and crabbed the coastal bays in dugouts. They lived in round huts made with thatch and animal skins. The Indians had varied experiences with Anglos though in the end their population was decimated through warfare and diseases caught from Anglos. The Indians helped Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca when he was shipwrecked on Galveston Island in 1528. After French explorers under LaSalle stole two canoes from the Karankawa and refused to return them, the Karankawa engaged them in battle; the Indians won. The Karankawa were not cannibals. Though they did sometimes eat captured enemies, they did not do this for food, but rather to absorb the magic powers of the enemy.
 
Experience Old Town Katy:
Old Town Katy offers antique stores, unique specialty stores, restaurants, gift shops, arts and craft stores, and the atmosphere of a small town. This area is located north of IH-10 and Pin Oak Street.
 
Clint Black, Katy:
Country singer Clint Black is from Katy, Texas.