Contact
 
 
County
Atascosa
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 3,871
2000 Census - 3,755
Nearby
Towns
Jourdanton, Texas
null
Jourdanton Texas History:
When Jourdan Campbell drew the blueprint for the Artesian Belt Railroad’s extension of the rail line through Atascosa County, Jourdanton was listed on the railway blueprint as a railroad stop. Jourdan named the town after himself. He and Col. T. H. Zanderson founded the town in 1909. That same year Young platted the town and the Jourdanton Land Company sold town lots at auction. Jourdanton residents raised money to pay the railroad a $50,000 bonus for building the line through Jourdanton. Jourdanton became a shipping point for livestock and cattle. In 1912 Jourdanton became the Atacosa County Seat. By 1914 Jourdanton had telephones, electricity, a cotton gin, a gristmill, public schools, several churches, two hotels, a weekly newspaper, and over 1,200 residents. Oil was discovered in the area in the 1940s. Today, the oil, gas and lignite industries provide the town a stable economic base. The Jourdanton Police Department had a great photo on their website’s home page. It read, “Going out tonight? So are we.” This great little town is located at the intersections of SH 16, SH 173, and SH 97, 10 miles from IH-37, 5 miles southwest of Pleasanton, 29.5 miles southwest of Floresville, 34.5 miles southwest of Elmendorf, 59 miles west of Karnes City, 24 miles northwest of Campbellton, 36 miles southeast of Lytle, 45 miles northwest of Three Rivers, 32 miles north of Tilden, 48 miles northeast of Pearsall, 27 miles southeast of Devine, 9 miles south of Poteet, and 41.6 miles south of San Antonio, Texas.
 
Historical Atascosa County Courthouse, 1912, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Atascosa County was created from Bexar County in 1856. The first county seat was at Navatasco, on land donated by Jose Antonio Navarro, and the county's first courthouse was a log cabin. The county seat was moved to Pleasanton in 1858, and a frame courthouse was erected. A second courthouse was built in 1868, followed by a third, a red rock structure in 1885. When a special election resulted in the relocation of the county seat to Jourdanton in 1910, the county officers were first housed in rented quarters. The following year the Gordon-Jones Company began construction on a new courthouse. Completed in 1912, the building was designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps (1881-1945), who would also design the Atascosa County Jail in 1915. The two-story brick building has identical entries at each side. Mission Revival-style detail includes curvilinear parapets and occasional Renaissance motifs, accomplished with cast-stone highlights, metal balustrades, and tile roofing. The corners of the building are turned with three-story tower bays, each topped by an open belvedere. Later alterations to the courthouse replaced original windows and installed an elevator opposite the original stairwell.” The marker is located on the grounds of the current courthouse on Courthouse Circle Drive.
 
Historical Atascosa County Courthouse, 1856, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This log cabin is a replica of first courthouse built 1856 near Amphion (Navatasco) 9 miles to the northwest, on site given by Jose Antonio Navarro out of his 1828 grant from Coahuila and Texas. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, he helped organize this county. First court term, 1857. First officials: Sheriff, James H. French; Chief Justice, Marcellus French; District Clerk, Edward Walker; County Clerk, Daniel Tobin; Tax Assessor-Collector; Thomas R. Brite; County Treasurer, Baylor Winn; District Attorney, James Paul; District Judge, E.F. Buckner.” The courthouse replica and the marker are located across from the 1912 courthouse on Courthouse Circle Drive.
 
Historic 1915 Atascosa County Jail, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“County officials rented a small Jourdanton house for a jail in 1911 after the county seat was moved here from Pleasanton in 1910. A proposal to build a new jail with cells from the old Pleasanton structure was rejected and this reinforced-concrete, brick-clad building with new steel cells was authorized in 1915. This site was purchased that year from W.M. Abernethy (1851-1931), who had served as County Judge from 1901 to 1912. The architect of the 1912 Courthouse, Henry T. Phelps (1881-1945) of San Antonio, was chosen to supervise erection of the jail. The Southern Structural Steel Company of San Antonio was awarded the $20,000 construction contract. An eclectic blend of architectural elements was highlighted with crenellated towers and hood molds outlining the windows. The first floor housed offices and living quarters for Sheriffs and their families, provided from 1916 to 1959. A gallows room was built on the second floor, though its trap door was never sprung for execution. Standard and specialized cells were partitioned on the second and third floors. Additions were built in 1974, with bricks and detailing carefully matching original patterns. A new jail was built to replace this building in 1982.”  The jail is located on Broadway Street.
 
Atascosa County Courthouse, 1912:
This brick and stone courthouse was designed in mission style by Henry T. Phelps. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Jourdanton was the third Atascosa County Seat; Navatasco was the first, and Pleasanton was the second county seat. The 2010 Atascosa County census was 44,991. The courthouse is located on Courthouse Circle Drive. 
 
Old Atascosa County Courthouse, 1856:
This log cabin courthouse was located in Navatasco (Amphion), the first county seat of Atascosa County. A replica of this courthouse is located in Jourdanton City Park across the street from the 1912 Atascosa County Courthouse
 
Jourdanton Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-1pm. (830) 769-3087. 1101 Campbell Avenue, Jourdanton, TX 78026. Email
 
Poteet Country Winery, 1998:
They produce and sell strawberry, mustang grape and blackberry wines, jams, jellies and juices. The winery and tasting room was once an old dairy barn. Owners Jim Collums and Bob Denson restored the water towers and old windmills, and built a replica of the old general store and furnished it with period pieces. They host an annual Fall Wine Fest. Free tours and free tastings are available Fri-Sun, noon -6pm, and by special appointment. Bring a picnic. (830) 276-8085. 400 Tank Hollow Road, Poteet, TX 78065. Email 
 
Annual Jourdanton Chamber of Commerce BBQ & Auction, 1st Sunday in Mar:  
Barbeque is served 11am-1pm. The silent auction begins at 11am, and the Live auction begins at noon. (830) 769-2866. This event is held at St. Mathew’s Catholic Church Parish Hall at 1608 Campbell Avenue. Chamber Email
 
Annual Jourdanton Chamber of Commerce 4th of July Celebration:
Enjoy free hot dogs and drinks, free admission, and free 9pm fireworks at Jourdanton City Park from 5pm-10pm. (830) 769-2866.  
 
Annual Jourdanton VFD Malvin Prasifka Chile & BBQ Cook-Off & Auction, 3rd Weekend in May: 
Activities include chili, BBQ and pinto bean cook-offs, and an auction. Barbeque categories include brisket, beef fajitas, pork spare ribs and chicken halves. (830) 769-3131. This event is held at St. Mathew’s Catholic Church Hall at 1608 Campbell Avenue.
 
Annual Atascosa County Fair, First Weekend in Oct:
Call (830) 769-3066 for livestock shows information. The Fair is located at the Poteet Strawberry Festival Grounds, 9199 SH 16, Poteet, Texas. Directions: From San Antonio go south on IH-35. Turn left at Exit 148B (SH 16-Poteet), and travel approximately 25 miles to Poteet; the festival main entrance will be on your right. The south entrance is located on Amphion Road. Email
 
Annual Atascosa Courthouse Lighting Ceremony and Santa Visit, 1st Monday in Dec:
(830) 769-2866. Chamber Email