Contact
 
 
County
Jasper
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 7,590
2000 Census - 8,247
Nearby
Towns
Jasper, Texas
null
Jasper Texas History:
The beautiful area was first settled by John Bevil in approximately 1824. By 1830, approximately 30 families lived in the community known as Snow River or Bevil’s Settlement. It was renamed for American Revolution hero William Jasper in 1835. The Texas Congress designated Jasper the Jasper County seat in 1844. The Jasper post office was established in 1846. By 1858, the town had 400 residents. The Jasper Newsboy weekly paper has been published since 1865. By 1885, the town had three saw and grist mills, a cotton gin, a planing mill, two churches, a college and 1,000 residents. The town shipped local pine logs, hides and cotton. The arrival of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad in the early 1900s enabled Jasper to become a center for the manufacturing of timber products. A Texas Historical Marker on the courthouse lawn honors Jasper resident Stephen Williams, the only known soldier of the American Revolution buried in Texas. Several forests are located near Jasper including the Angelina National Forest 13 miles northwest of Jasper, the Sabine National Forest located northeast of Jasper at the Toledo Bend Reservoir, and the Siecke State Forest located 36 miles south near Buna, Texas. Nearby lakes include the B.A. Steinhagen 15 miles southwest of Jasper, The Sam Rayburn Reservoir 20 miles northwest of Jasper, and the Toledo Bend Reservoir located 37 miles northeast of Jasper. Jasper is located on Sandy Creek at the intersections of U.S. 96, U.S. 190, SH 63 and FM 252, 28 miles west of Louisiana, 16.4 miles northwest of Newton, 19.5 miles northwest of Kirbyville, 35.8 miles north of Buna, 70 miles slightly northeast of Beaumont, 55.5 miles northeast of Lumberton and Village Creek State Park, 59 miles northeast of Kountze and the Big Thicket preserve, 60 miles northeast of Livingston and Lake Livingston, 29 miles northeast of Woodville, 29.7 miles northeast of Colmesneil, 55.4 miles southeast of Lufkin, 32 miles southeast of Zavalla, 47 miles slightly southeast of San Augustine, 33 miles southeast of Zavalla, 23.8 miles south of Pineland and the Moore Plantation WMA, 41.5 miles southwest of Hemphill, and 21.6 miles southwest of Burkeville, Texas. 
 
Jasper County Courthouse, 1889:
Jasper County was one of the original 23 counties created when the Republic of Texas was established in 1836 following the Texas Revolution. The courthouse was designed in Renaissance Revival style by architect Eugene T. Heiner in Renaissance Revival style. It was constructed of locally made brick. In 1931, east and east wings were added and the entire courthouse was stuccoed. The original clock tower was removed in 1957, but was recently restored. Murals, outdoor sculptures and the old county jail are located on the courthouse square. The 2010 Jasper County census was 35,710. (409) 384-6226. 121 North Austin Street.