Irving Texas History:
The Gorbit post office was established in 1889. In 1894, the post office was renamed Kit and was moved to a survey site where the railroad line was to be built. Kit never received railroad service so in 1902,
Julius Otto Schulze and Otis Brown established a third townsite called Irving. The Kit post office was moved to Irving in 1904. By 1912, the town had two churches, a school, two cotton gins, a blacksmith shop, a general store, a bank, a newspaper, and approximately 500 residents. Irving incorporated in 1914. The town declined to 357 residents by 1925, but began to steadily grown in the 1930s. The 12,000 acre Las Colinas residential and business area was developed in 1972. At the time it was one of the first master-planned developments in the Nation and was once the largest mixed-use development in the Southwest. The shop and restaurant lined Mandalay Canal bisects this district. The development entrance is defined by a magnificent Flower clock and fresh flowers that bloom year round. The Las Colinas entrance is located at SH 114 and O’Connor Road. Located in Las Colinas is Lake Caroline and Robert Glen’s Mustangs of Las Colinas
, the largest equestrian sculpture in the world. By the end of the 1970s, Irving had over 100,000 residents and almost 2,000 businesses. The Dallas Cowboys’ home field was the former Texas Stadium between 1971 and 2008. The stadium closed in December 2008, and was demolished on April 11, 2010. The Dallas Cowboys now play at the 2009 AT& T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.Irving is located a few miles southeast of the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport and a few miles west of Dallas Love Field Airport. The town’s proximity to these airports and the construction of the Las Colinas Urban Center has attracted regional and national businesses including the headquarters of the Boy Scouts of America. Irving is located on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River at the intersections of SH 183 (Airport Freeway), IH-30 and SH 161 (President George Bush Turnpike), 29 miles northeast of Fort Worth and Lake Worth, 15 miles northeast of Arlington and Lake Arlington, 7.4 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Joe Pool and Mountain Creek Lakes, 17.5 miles east of North Richland Hills, 40 miles southeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 12.6 miles southeast of Bedford, 16 miles southeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 15.5 miles southeast of Colleyville, 35.4 miles southeast of Denton, 20.5 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 10 miles southeast of Farmers Branch, 37.5 miles southwest of McKinney, 36.6 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 15 miles southwest of Garland and Lake Ray Hubbard, 25 miles southwest of Plano, 16 miles southwest of Addison, 24.6 miles northwest of Mesquite, 12.8 miles west of Dallas, 37 miles north of Waxahachie, and 10 miles north of Cedar Hill State Park and Cedar Hill, Texas.
Irving Veterans Memorial Park:
This beautiful park honors all local veterans. Large bronze statues of soldiers are located at the entrance to the main plaza. The park features commemorative walls describing the various military branches and locations of wars. Other features include a Fountain of Hope, River of Freedom, World Map of Confrontation, and the Commemorative Wall of Contemplation. Click on the above link for photos and names of veterans. 644 Rock Island Road, 75060. (972) 721-2501.