Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 534
2000 Census - 534
Jayton, Texas
Jayton Texas History:
The Jay Flat post office was established in 1886 and the post office was granted the same year. In 1907, businesses and residents moved two miles northwest of the original townsite to the tracks of the newly constructed Northwestern Railway, and Jay Flat was renamed Jayton. Jayton incorporated in 1910. A favorite recreation site was the Putoff Canyon freshwater spring, three miles north of Jayton. Between 1900 and 1940, the spring attracted artists and writers, including Western writer Zane Grey who used the setting for his novel “The Thundering Herd.” Cotton remained the main industry until oil was discovered in the 1930s. In 1954, after a lengthy court battle, Jayton replaced Clairemont as county seat. In 1980, Jayton had a post office, a bank, and ten businesses. Today, Jayton is a center for area farmers and  the oil industry. Jayton is located at the intersections of U.S. 380, SH 70 (Main Street), FM 1228 and FM 1083, 50 miles northeast of Snyder, 53 miles northeast of Post, 14.4 miles northeast of Clairemont, 94 miles southeast of Lubbock, 59 miles southeast of Crosbyton, 35 miles southeast of Dickens, 24 miles southeast of Spur, 52 miles southwest of Guthrie, 80 miles northwest of Abilene, 64 miles northwest of Sweetwater, 60 miles northwest of Anson, 42.5 miles northwest of Hamlin, 24 miles northwest of Aspermont, and 44 miles northwest of Roby, Texas.

Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Kent County Courthouse, 1957:
The modern courthouse was designed by Wyatt Hedrick. It is located on SH 70. The 2nd floor of the former 1893 Kent County Courthouse in Clairemont burned on April 12, 1955. The remaining first floor is now the Clairemont Community Center. Clairemont is located 14 miles southwest of Jayton. The 2010 Kent County census was 808. (806) 237-3373.
Kent County Library:  
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; closed Saturdays and Sundays. (806) 237-3287. 156 West 4th Street, Jayton, Texas 79528.