Contact
 
 
County
Kimble
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 2,574
2000 Census - 2,618
Nearby
Towns
Junction, Texas
null
Junction Texas History:
The town was founded in the spring of 1876, and was named for its location at the junction of the North and South Llano Rivers. Junction was elected county seat that same year. The 1876 post office was moved from a private residence in 1879 to the town square. At that time, the town had a livery stable, a sawmill, a drug store and general stores. In 1884, the 1878 county courthouse and all the county records were destroyed in a fire. A second county courthouse was partially destroyed by fire in 1888, but it was repaired and used until the present courthouse was built in 1929. In 1895, local businessman Ernest Holecamp built a canal from the South Llano River to Junction, providing Junction its first waterworks. In 1896, a dam was built on the South Llano River to provide power and water to the city, and irrigation to the surrounding farm and ranch lands. The dam was replaced with the larger 4 Mile Dam in 1904. The first filling stations opened around 1916 or 1917. By the early 1920s, the livery stable had closed, and Junction had gravel streets and electric street lights. Junction incorporated in 1930. Junction continues to be the shipping and marketing center for Kimble County's livestock, wool, mohair, pecan, and grain production. It is also the hunting center for one of the state's leading deer hunting counties. Junction is located on the North Llano River at the intersection of IH-10 and U.S. 83/U.S. 377 (Main Street), 98 miles southeast of San Angelo, 51 miles southeast of Sonora, 52 miles south of Eden, 31 miles south of Menard, 45 miles southwest of Mason, 61 miles northwest of Fredericksburg, 54 miles northwest of Kerrville, and 47 miles northeast of Rock Springs, Texas.
 
Kimble County Airport, Callan Graham Field:
Amenities include two runways, fuel, tie downs, and lights dawn to dusk. (325) 446-2820. The airport is located one mile northeast of Junction at 635 Airport Road.
 
Kimble County Courthouse, 1929:
The 1885 courthouse was designed by famous courthouse architect Alfred Giles. Giles also designed the courthouses in Marfa, Falfurrias, Goliad, Laredo, and Floresville. This early courthouse was destroyed by fire. Its cornerstone is located near the Chamber of Commerce office. The 1929 brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Henry Phelps, and was built using WPA funds. The 2010 Kimble County census was 4,607. (325) 446-2724. 501 Main Street, Junction, TX 76849. Email 
 
Kimble County Jail, 1892:
This was the county’s third jail. It has two foot thick stone walls, and cost #3,150 to build. Famous prisoners included the 1896 killer, Gip Hardin, brother of outlaw John Wesley Hardin. The jail is located at North 5th and Pecan Streets. 
 
Kimble County Jail, 1892, Texas Historical Marker Text:
The jail cost of $3,150. The two-foot thick hewn stone walls gave the fortress the reputation for being "As secure as Huntsville State prison". Among the many prisoners held here was the 1896 killer, Gip Hardin, brother of noted bad man John Wesley Hardin. The jail is located at North 5th and Pecan Streets.