Contact
 
 
County
Jack
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 4,511
2000 Census - 4,533
Nearby
Towns
Jacksboro, Texas
null
Jacksboro Texas History:
In 1838, eighteen settlers were massacred by Cherokee Indians. This is thought to be the last Native American attack on white immigrants in East Texas. In 1841, the Peters Colony received a land grant in the Jacksboro area from the Republic of Texas. The twenty American and English investors of the Peters Colony established the Texas Emigration and Land Office and by the 1850s and begun advertising land offerings. The first settlers were farmers who settled at the original settlement along the banks of Lost Creek, and also along the banks of the West Fork of Keechi Creek which was south of the original settlement. These settlers referred to the community that developed as Mesquiteville. Jack County was established in 1856. In 1858, Mesquiteville was chosen Jack County seat and the town was renamed Jacksborough or Jacksboro. Postal service began in 1859. The town was a stop for the Butterfield Overland Mail stage from 1858 to early 1861. During the Civil War (1861-1865), the town was subject to frequent Indian raids. By the end of the war it was Texas’ most western town still in existence, and consisted of a few dilapidated buildings. The 1870 completion of Fort Richardson south of town brought safety from Indian attacks. Before long, Jacksboro consisted of several hundred buildings and was the trading center for the county. Jacksboro received national publicity in 1871 when the Kiowa chiefs Satanta and Big Tree were tried for murder in the district curt. After the arrival of the Chicago and Rock Island and Texas Railroad in 1898, and the arrival of the Gulf, Texas, and Western in 1910, Jacksboro became the commercial and shipping center for Jack County farmers and ranchers. When oil was discovered in the nearby communities of Antelope and Bryson, Jacksboro diversified its economy by adding oil-well servicing to agribusiness. The population of Jacksboro reached 1,000 in 1900 and had nearly doubled by 1930. Jacksboro is a prosperous farming center, and popular hunting and fishing area. Jacksboro is located at the intersections of U.S. 281, U.S. 380, SH 114, SH 148, SH 59, SH 199 and U.S. 380, 38 miles southeast of Olney, 61 miles southeast of Wichita Falls, 45 miles southeast of Archer City, 42 miles south of Henrietta, 34 miles southwest of Bowie, 37.6 miles southwest of Decatur and the LBJ National Grasslands, 28 miles west of Bridgeport and Lake Bridgeport, 18.7 miles slightly northwest of Runaway Bay, 43.6 miles northwest of Azle, 43 miles northwest of Weatherford, 31 miles northwest of Mineral Wells, 54 miles northeast of Palo Pinto, 35 miles northeast of Possum Kingdom Lake, 23 miles northeast of Graford, and 27.7 miles northeast of Graham Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.   Email    Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Jack County Courthouse, 1940;  
This modern courthouse was designed by architects Voelcker & Dixon. Stones from the razed 1886 Jack County Courthouse were used to build the Jacksboro City Hall. The bell and cornerstone from the 1886 courthouse are located on the courthouse square. The 2010 Jack County census was 9,044. (940) 567-2241. 100 North Main Street, Jacksboro, Texas 76458. Email 
 
Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railroad Depot, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Built 1898 of native stone by Risley Brothers of Jacksboro, for the Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Railway, on site bought from F. F. Foscue (1819-1906), a Texas legislator, owner of Fort Richardson lands. In typical railroad architecture, the depot housed waiting rooms and offices. Mrs. Edith Wilmans, a local rancher, Texas' first (1923) woman legislator, often traveled from this station. The Rock Island system sold the structure in 1973 to Texas Export Railroad Company. The depot is located in Fort Richardson State Park. The marker is located at the end of Depot Street, at the east gate of the park. 228 State Park Road 61, Jacksboro, Texas 76458.  
 
Gulf, Texas and Western (GT&W) Railroad Depot & Museum 1909:
n 1909, the Jacksboro Board of Trade raised $25,000 locally to assure a Gulf, Texas and Western railway line would be built from Jacksboro to Benjamin. The lines were laid through Jack County and a depot was built on what is now South Main Street near the Lost Creek Bridge. The depot was renovated and now houses the Jacksboro Chamber of Commerce and Jacksboro Tourism and Visitors Center. The depot also houses exhibits depicting the history of Jacksboro. (940) 567-2602. 302 South Main Street.
 
Jack County Museum: 
The museum is located in the 1882 Stanley Cooper house. Tom M. Marks lived in this house in 1907 when he founded the "Corn Club" in Texas, later known as the 4-H Club. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Jack County including 4-H and Jackson High School memorabilia, cemetery records, genealogical records, an outbuilding housing pioneer daily life necessities, and a restored 1880s log cabin housing a collection of early farm implements. The museum hosts the annual Pioneer Day event the first Saturday in June. (940) 567-5410. 241 W. Belknap Street.  Email   
 
Gladys Johnson Ritchie Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Wed, 9am-6pm; Thu, 9am-7pm; Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-12 noon. (940) 567-2240. 626 West College Street. Email