Contact
 
 
County
San Patricio
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 9,387
2000 Census - 9,388
Nearby
Towns
Ingleside, Texas
null
Ingleside Texas History:
The earliest community in this area was established in 1854 by George C. Hatch who purchased land of both sides of the bayou. In 1857 Marcellus Turner applied for the area’s first post office. Primary industries were farming and ranching. During these early years the town was known by several names; ultimately it settled on Ingleside, the home town of early Scottish settler John Vineyard. The present townsite was platted in 1909; a 1916 hurricane destroyed most of the buildings. Humble Oil built a tank farm and refinery; construction boomed and the town grew until a 1944-1945 labor dispute resulted in Humble closing the plant. In 1954 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers cut the La Quinta Channel through Ingleside Point thus demarking an area known as Ingleside-on-the-Bay where the U.S. Navy opened its Ingleside Naval Air Station in 1995; the base was recommended for closure in 2005; it is set for final closure on April 30, 2010. Since 1972, the town’s population has grown steadily. It is home to several large businesses including DuPont, OxyChem, Signet Maritime, Gulf Marine Fabricators, Kiewit Offshore Services, Helix Energy, and Sherwin-Alumina. Ingleside is a beautiful Gulf of Mexico town; it is located on Ingleside Point on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay, 4 miles slightly northeast of Ingleside by the Bay, 53 miles southeast of Mathis, 6 miles southwest of Aransas Pass, and 18 miles northeast of Corpus Christi, Texas.
 
Ingleside Texas Historical Marker Text:
The Ingleside community began in the 1850s when George C. Hatch purchased land on both sides of the bayou. He later acquired 3,800 acres of land and sold land to other settlers who built homes on the bayou and Ingleside Cove. John Vineyard is credited with naming Ingleside Cove for his Scottish ancestral Home. In 1854 George and Marcellus Turner settle in the area, and in 1857 Marcellus obtained a grant for the area's first post office. The Turners established the star cattle company and organized several cattle drives to northern markets. A general store was operated by Youngs Coleman. George Hatch introduced grape culture to the area, and his son john G. Hatch developed a prosperous vineyard in the 1880s. The Massi and Mircovich families were prominent in the fishing industry established here. The railway bypassed Ingleside in the late 1880s. Residents set up a new town site on the railroad in 1893, and in the early 1890s a large hotel was built on the cove. In later years, the economic base of the community was assisted by the establishment of an oil refinery, industrial development and a U.S. navy home port. The population of Ingleside grew steadily after the 1970s.”
 
Early Ingleside Schools, Texas Historical Marker Text:
Early education in Ingleside began in the 1980s when settlers John P. and Susan Hatch Borden established bay seminary in 1854. The Borden's School was closed by 1860. Henry Nold bought land form the Bordens and opened Ingleside College in 1857. Nold expanded the curriculum and built more frame structures for at least 30 boarding students during the civil war the college buildings were torn down. A school in nearby Allendale was built about 1872 and was active until 1910. The Ingleside public school system began about 1900.”
 
Maxine Flournoy Third Coast Squadron Museum, Ingleside, Texas:
The museum closed the Alice Texas location in 2012 and broke ground on its new home at the McCampbell-Porter Airport in Ingleside in December, 2013. The museum will feature a 12,500 square foot hanger, and 3,000 square feet of museum space. The Airport and San Patricio County are planning to extend the runway an additional 1,000 feet. The hanger will house jeeps, the N2S Stearman, the T-f0 Bobcat, and four other planes. The longer runway will permit the museum to bring in larger aircraft such as the B-29 currently located in Dallas. Museum exhibits will include flying artifacts, photos, radio equipment, newspaper articles, posters, clothing, the Hall of Fame, and exhibits of military artifacts depicting the stories of Coastal Bend military personnel. The squadron and their Stearman plane participate in various air shows. (361) 758-2000. The McCampbell-Porter Airport is located at 3141 FM 3512 in Ingleside, Texas. 
 
Ingleside Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon & Thu, 8:30am-6pm; Tue-Wed, 8:30am-7pm; Fri, 8:30am-5pm, Sat, 9am-4pm; closed Sundays. (361) 776-5355. 2775 Waco Street, Ingleside, TX 78362.
 
Event Venue - Humble Community & Youth Center:
This center serves as a community center and a youth center. Community Center amenities include laptops, internet access, Wii, a PlayStation, a basketball court, tables and chairs, a sound system and a kitchen. The community center hosts morning exercise classes, and after school programs. The 75-90 person capacity community room is available for event rentals. The Youth Center is open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-2pm. (361) 776-3438. (361) 776-0780. 2821 Main Street. 
 
Event Venue - Garden Center:
The 75-90 person capacity garden center is available for event rentals. Amenities include tables and chairs and a kitchen. (361) 776-3438. (361) 776-0780.  2740 Mustang Avenue.
 
Annual Cruise Your Ride to Ingleside Car Show, 4th Saturday in April:
Activities include live music, kid’s activities, vendors, a car viewing and judging, a swap meet, and other activities. Live Oak Park. Directions to the back entrance of the park from Portland: From Hwy 361, go right onto South Main Street (FM 1969). Drive 1.5 miles then turn left on Belaire Avenue. Drive 0.3 miles then go right on Parkview and drive approximately 0.4 miles to the entrance.Directions to the front entrance of the park from Portland: From Hwy 361 in Ingleside, turn right onto South Main Street (FM 1069). Drive approximately 1.6 miles then turn right onto Port Avenue. Drive approximately 0.3 miles; Live Oak Park will be on your left.
 
Annual Round-Up Days Festival, End of March:
Activities at this three day festival include vendors, a carnival, an IBCA sanctioned cook-off (brisket, pork spareribs & chicken), a wing eating contest, a pageant, a parade, and other activities. Admission is free with the donation of a canned good. (361) 776-2906. This event is held at the N.O. Simmons Park at 2283-2289 Highland Street. 
 
Annual Ingleside Renaissance Faire, 2nd Weekend in Dec:
Activities include renaissance activities and costumes, food vendors, arts and crafts, skill and strength tests, and music. (361) 776-2906. (888) 899-2906. This event is held in Live Oak Park at 2000 Port Avenue. Directions to the back entrance of the park from Portland: From SH 361, go right onto South Main Street (FM 1969). Drive 1.5 miles then turn left on Belaire Avenue. Drive 0.3 miles then go right on Parkview and drive approximately 0.4 miles to the entrance. Directions to the front entrance of the park from Portland: From SH 361 in Ingleside go right onto South Main Street (FM 1069). Drive approximately 1.6 miles then turn right onto Port Avenue. Drive approximately 0.3 miles; Live Oak Park will be on your left.
 
City Tortilla Factory, Ingleside:
They serve wonderful breakfast tacos. (361) 776-3578. 109 N. Avenue B. Reviews