Contact
 
 
County
Calhoun
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 100
Nearby
Towns
Indianola, Texas
null
Indianola Texas History:
Indianola was established on Matagorda Bay in 1846 by Sam Addison White and William M. Cook. In 1847 the town received a post office and was named Indian Point. The town was favorably located at the terminus of the Chihuahua Trail (the military road to San Antonio, Austin, and Chihuahua, Mexico), and the road to San Diego. The town grew quickly and began to merge into the nearby 1844 Karlshaven settlement. By 1848, the town had a stage coach service and had grown into an important deep water port. It became the chief port through which European and American immigrants arrived in Texas. In 1849, the towns of Indian Point and Karlshaven combined and took the name Indianola. The combined town soon expanded three miles down the beach to Powderhorn Bayou, and was chosen as the terminus to Charles Morgan’s New York based steamship line. In 1852 Indianola was became the Calhoun County seat. The town incorporated in 1853 and established a hospital. By 1860 Indianola had grown to over 1,000 residents, and rivaled Port Lavaca. In the mid-1800s the Army decided to experiment with using camels to transport goods across desert areas. The first camels arrived at Port Indianola in 1856. The experiment failed due to the smell and temperament of the camels. During the Civil War the town remained under Union control for almost two years. By 1870, Indianola had become the second largest port in Texas, was an important military depot, and had over 2,000 residents. Railroad service began in 1871. By 1875, the population had grown to over 5,000. On September 16, 1875 the town was struck by a hurricane with winds of over 110 miles an hour; the town was washed away. Most of the town was rebuilt, but the town never recovered to its former prosperity. By 1880, the town had less than 2,000 people. A second, more destructive hurricane struck the town in 1886; the town was not rebuilt. In 1887, the county seat was moved to Port Lavaca and many Indianola residents moved to Port Lavaca. In 1878 the Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the Morgan Steamship Lines, and in 1887 it reopened the war damaged railroad. This development, along with the growth of other railroads in Texas, reduced Port Lavaca from a major seaport to a fishing center. A monument and Kingsland pink granite statue of La Salle honors the site where LaSalle first landed in Texas in 1685; the statue was sculpted by famed Franco-American Sculptor Raoul Josset. Indianola is located adjacent to Magnolia Beach on SH 316, 10 miles southeast of Port Lavaca, 22 miles northeast of Seadrift, and 6 miles northwest of Port O’Connor, Texas.
 
Historic Town of Indianola:
"Many currents of the mainstream of Texas history flow in this onetime port. Pineda explored the coast in 1519 and La Salle planted a settlement near here in 1685. Once an Indian trading point, it was a major seaport from 1844 to 1875. Texas colonists, including Germans, led by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels entered through Indianola. `Forty-Niners` supplied the frontier forts and experimental army camels were landed here. During the civil war, Indianola and Fort Esperanza, which controlled the gateway to Indianola through Pass Cavallo, were objectives of federal blockading vessels. Pass Cavallo, ten miles south, was one of several entrances to the inside waterway created by Matagorda Peninsula and the offshore islands extending to the Rio Grande. To deny Confederate use of this waterway for commerce through Mexico, the Federals had to seize control of these entrances. Before Confederate defenses at Fort Esperanza were completed, two federal steamers slipped through Pass Cavallo to Indianola and on October 31, 1862, demanded the surrender of Lavaca (now Port Lavaca) to the northwest. The confederate command refused, and stood off the naval guns with land batteries and forced the withdrawal of federal ships. Federal forces attacked Fort Esperanza on November 22, 1863. The Confederates withstood the assault of naval and land forces for 511 days, then spiked their guns, destroyed their magazines, and withdrew to the mainland. Indianola then fell on December 23rd. On Christmas Eve Federal and Confederate forces clashed at Norris Bridge eight miles north. Two days later, Lavaca was occupied and the entire Matagorda-Lavaca Bay area remained in Federal control until the war`s end. Indianola was partially destroyed by a hurricane in 1875 and completely destroyed by another in 1886." 
 
Historic Site of the Town of Indianola:
“The town, first called Karlshaven by German immigrants, was an important port of Texas.
The cargos of ships were hauled by carts until the San Antonio and Mexico Gulf Railroad and the Indianola Railroad were completed to Victoria in 1860. The town was partially destroyed by the hurricane of 1875, and was completely destroyed by the hurricane of 1886.” Marker location; Drive on SH 316 South 1 mile to Ocean Drive. Historic Marker
 
Historic Rene Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle (1643-1687):
“French born, he came to Canada in 1643 and founded a settlement near Montreal. He led several expeditions on the Great Lakes and the Ohio exploration of the Mississippi in 1682. In 1684, he sailed from France to establish a colony at the mouth of the Mississippi. He landed at Matagorda Bay in February, 1685, where he established Fort St. Louis. While on his way to Canada, he was murdered near the Trinity River on March 19, 1687. La Salle’s colony on Matagorda Bay gave the United States its first claim to Texas as a part of the Louisiana Purchase.” The marker is located on Beach Road at the Monument in Indianola.
 
Historic Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly (about 1800 to 1860):
“Originally from Tennessee, she arrived in Texas in 1822 with her first husband, J.C. Peyton. They operated an inn in San Felipe, capital of the Stephen F. Austin colony. After her husband’s death in 1834, she married Jacob Eberly in 1836. She and her husband were operating a hotel in Austin when she discovered men secretly removing records from the Capitol. Firing a cannon, she started the “Archives War”, and rescued the original records of the Republic of Texas. Later she lived at Indianola. Her burial place and marker were destroyed in the 1875 hurricane.” Marker location: From Port Lavaca, take FM 238 S/Southeast for 3 miles to FM 316. Follow FM 316 for approximately 8.75 miles. A statue of a barefoot Angelina shooting the cannon is located in front of One American Center at 600 Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas.
 
Historic Old Town Cemetery, 1851:
Located on an elevated ridge at Indianola Beach, this cemetery is one of three that served the port of Indianola during the 19th century. The oldest existing grave marker is that of James Chilton Allan, 1851. Also buried here are some of Calhoun County’s earliest settlers. Many of the tombstones, such as that of Angelina Eberly (d. 1860), heroine of the Texas Archives War, have disappeared over time because of storms and vandalism. From Port Lavaca, take FM 238 S/SW about three miles to FM 316 South. Drive 8.5 miles on 316 South, then go north on CR to Old Town Cemetery. A statue of a barefoot Angelina shooting the cannon is located in front of One American Center at 600 Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas.
 
History Signs:
Approximately 50 signs depicting the history of Indianola are located along Ocean Drive and Indianola Beach.