2000 Census - 3,072
Iowa Park Texas History:
In 1888, D.C. and A.J. Kolp founded and platted the community of Daggett Switch on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. The first immigrants were brought in by train by the Texas Panhandle Company. The Iowa Park post office was established in 1888. The town incorporated in 1891, the same year a fire destroyed much of the town. The town became a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers. By 1900 the town had 792 residents. The discovery of oil south of town, and the establishment of Sheppard Air Force Base approximately 6 miles southeast of town helped the town’s growth. Today many residents commute to Wichita Falls for work. Iowa Park is located just north of the North Fork of the Wichita River at the intersection of U.S. 287 and FM 368, 36.4 miles north of Archer City, 38.4 miles southeast of Vernon, 15.8 miles southeast of Electra, 16 miles southwest of Burkburnett and the Red River, 30.8 miles northwest of Henrietta, and 10.8 miles northwest of Wichita Falls, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Tom Burnett Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, fax and copy machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-8pm; Fri, 10am-5pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sunday and holidays. (940) 592-4981. 400 West Alameda Street.
Comanche Red River Casino-500 Nations, Devol, Oklahoma:
Amenities include the casino, free RV hookups, a 24 hour concession area, and plenty of parking for cars and trucks. The Red River Grill serves great hamburgers. Games include poker, blackjack, and slots. Open daily, 24 hours. (580) 299-3370. The casino is located off IH-44 on SH. 36. If traveling from the south take Exit 1; if traveling from the north take exit 5. Email
Kiowa Red River Casino-500 Nations, Devol, Oklahoma:
The casino offers poker, blackjack and slots; it is open 24 hours daily. The Morningstar Steakhouse and Grill is open Sun, Wed, Thu, 5pm-10pm; Fri-Sat, 5pm-11pm; Closed Mon & Tue. The Morningstar Buffet is open Mon-Fri, 11am-2pm; Sat-Sun, 11am-4pm for lunch. Open Sun-Thu, 5pm-10pm; Fri-Sat, 5pm-11pm for dinner. The Winner’s Circle Restaurant is open 24 hours daily. (580) 299-3333. (866) 370-4077. The casino is located at 36 E. 1980 Road, Devol, Oklahoma. The casino is located off IH-44 at the corner of SH 36 and East 1980 Road.
Wichita Falls Vineyards & Winery, Iowa Park:
The tasting room is open Wed-Sat, 10am-5:30pm; Sun, 2pm-5:30pm. (940) 855-2093. 3399 "B" Peterson Road South, Iowa Park, Texas 76367 Email
Annual ParkFest, 1stSunday in May:
Activities include a classic car show, a car cruise, a motorcycle run, food vendors, games a hot dog eating contest, merchandise vendors, and children’s entertainment. Open 11am-5pm. The car cruise is held from 6pm-8pm. (940) 592-5441. This event is held at Gordon Lake 1201 North Jackson Street. Email Chamber
Annual FishFest Youth Fishing Rodeo, 3rd Saturday in May:
This event is held from 9am-noon at Gordon Lake. The lake will be stocked with over 1,500 pounds of adult catfish prior to the event. Prizes and trophies will be awarded to winners in three age categories for the largest fish caught. The lake will be open to licensed adults at the conclusion of the FishFest event. It is recommended that children bring their own equipment however; TJA will provide loaner rods, reels, bait and tackle to those in need. 1201 North Jackson Street.
Annual Whoop-T-Do, Sept:
This annual Iowa Park High School Reunion features food booths, arts and crafts, games, a turtle race, and an “Iowa Park’s Got Talent” competition. This event is held in downtown Iowa Park along the 100 and 200 blocks of North Wall Streets, and along East and West Cash Streets.
Annual Fall Fun Craft Show, Oct:
This event is held at the Tom Burnett Memorial Library at 400 West Alameda Street. (940) 592-4981.
Annual Iowa Park Christmas Lights Display, Dec:
A lighted train at the library matches the water tower light display. Residents and businesses donate funds for the L.E.D. lights and for the upkeep of these displays. The library is located at 400 West Alameda Street. (940) 592-2131. Email