Contact
 
 
County
Washington
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - Unknown
Nearby
Towns
Independence, Texas
null
Independence Texas History:
Thomas S. Saul, a member Stephen F. Austin’s Old Three Hundred colony, granted 75 acres of his Mexican land grant to J.G. W. Pierson and Colbert Baker. In 1835 Baker, Pierson, and two others founded the town of Independence on this acreage. The town became an important religious and educational center for the Republic of Texas. Sam Houston’s family lived here in the 1850s; he was a member of the Independent Baptist Church. The Independence post office was established in 1846. That same year the Union Baptist Association opened a co-educational college in Independence when the town was the wealthiest community in Texas. In 1888, the male campus was moved to Waco where it was merged with Waco University, now Baylor University. The female campus moved to Belton and became the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. By the 1950s, Independence had a hotel, a stagecoach depot, a jail, a Masonic lodge, churches, and a small commercial district. The town incorporated in 1852. The Santa Fe Railroad line to Independence, but the city fathers and Baylor administrators refused to grant the right-of-way. By the 1880s, most of the railway lines in the area had bypassed Independence, and many businesses had moved to the railroad towns. The lack of a railroad made it difficult for college students to travel to Independence. In 1888, the male Baylor University campus was moved to Waco where it was merged with Waco University, now Baylor University. The female campus moved to Belton and became the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. The loss of the university sent Independence into a century long decline. The post office had been discontinued in 1960 when the town had 200 residents. Independence is located southwest of the Brazos River at the intersection of FM 50 and FM 390, 32.5 miles southeast of Caldwell, 15 miles southeast of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 17 miles southeast of Snook, 31 miles south of Bryan, 27.5 miles south of College Station, 19 miles southwest of Navasota, 14 miles slightly southwest of Washington-on-the-Brazos, 32 miles northwest of Hempstead, 30 miles slightly northwest of Bellville, 19.5 miles northwest of Chappell Hill, 11.7 miles north of Brenham, 20 miles northeast of Burton, and 34 miles northeast of Round Top, Texas.    
 
Independence Visitor Center:
The visitor center is staffed by the Independence Historical Society. It is housed in the 1835 Adobe house which also serves as the Independence office of Baylor University. The visitor center is open Tue-Fri, 10am-2pm; Sat, 10am-4pm; Sun, 1pm-4pm; closed during the month of July. The center is located at 10279 T. S. Saul Road. Go west on FM 390 to Independence. Go right on T. S. Saul Road. The visitor center is located in the second house on your left. (979) 251-9227.