Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 14,698
2000 Census - 1,250
Nearby
Towns
Hutto, Texas
null
Hutto Texas History:
In 1876, the International-Great Northern Railroad built a line to the current site of Hutto. It purchased 5 acres of land for the train depot from James Emory Hutto, a local rancher. Within a year Hutto had a railroad depot, a post office, a general store, and a lumber business. By 1896, Hutto was an important cotton market with a population of 700, many of them German, Danish, or Swedish immigrants. The population reached a peak of 900 residents in 1928. Like many small Texas towns, Hutto was hit hard by the depression and the decline in the cotton industry; by 1931 the population had fallen to 538. Hutto incorporated in 1940. The town’s proximity to Round Rock and Georgetown has caused the population to expand rapidly since 2000. The town is billed as “The Hippo Capital of Texas.” Hutto is located near Cottonwood Creek just east of U.S. 130 at the intersections of U.S. 79, FM 685 and FM 1660, 19.3 miles southwest of Granger, 21 miles southwest of Thorndale, 8.6 miles southwest of Taylor, 24.5 miles northwest of Elgin, approximately 10 miles northwest of Coupland, 30 miles north of Webberville, 31 miles northeast of Austin, 10 miles northeast of Pflugerville, 9 miles northeast of Round Rock, 37 miles northeast of Lakeway and Lake Travis, and 13 miles southeast of Georgetown, Texas.
 
Historic Hutto, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Located near Shiloh, one of the earliest villages in Williamson County, this area was settled in 1855 by J. E. Hutto (1824-1914) and Adam Orgain, a former slave. Hutto sold land for this townsite to the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1876. A post office was established in 1877 with Hutto as postmaster. By 1882, the town had a school and a Baptist church. By 1898, there were six churches, a Masonic lodge, newspaper, hotel, bank, two gins, and several stores. Hutto grew rapidly after Swedish immigrants turned nearby farms to cotton production. The town was incorporated in 1911.”
 
Hutto Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood Cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P. and Julia Crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her family, and many were unmarked. Today, the earliest marked grave is that of Joseph Metcalfe (d. 1887). Over time, the property exchanged hands from the Boatrights to the Haygoods. Birdie Haygood Badger sold the property in 1950 to the newly formed Hutto Cemetery Association, and the cemetery name changed to reflect its association to the community. Records indicate that within the cemetery's bounds are two lots once reserved for paupers, as well as one lot associated with the Swedish church that evolved into Hutto's First Methodist Church. The community's history is evident in the cemetery, with text on grave markers signifying settlers who came from other states or countries, area residents who belonged to fraternal organizations or who served in the military as early as the Civil War, and children whose brief lives also contributed to the local history.”
 
Old Town Hutto Historic District:
This district is roughly bounded by Park Street on the east, Orgain Street on the south, the Co-Op site on the west, and north just past the intersection of Church Street and FM 1660. This area features local businesses, restaurants and shops. Buildings date to the 1800s. the future city hall will be located on the Co-Op site. The farmer’s market is held at the Co-Op site. (512) 759-5960. 
 
Hutto Historic Preservation Commission:
The Hutto Heritage Foundation was given the 1902 Almquist-Johnson Swedish farmhouse, a two story Sears and Roebuck kit home located on FM 1660 on the southwest corner of the Williamson County Landfill. The farmhouse probably can’t be restored and will have to be replicated. A museum is being developed. The Historic Preservation Commission meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at City Hall at 401 West Front Street. Call (512) 759-4033 for reservations. 
 
East Williamson County Higher Education Center:
This center is affiliated with the Texas State Technical College Waco and Temple College. It provides training programs in air conditioning, culinary arts, mechanics, radio communication electrics, electrical construction and welding. (512) 759-5900. 1600 Innovation Boulevard, 78634. Email
 
Hutto Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue, Noon-8pm; Wed & Fri, Noon-6pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sunday and Monday. The library is open for preschool aged children’s story time on Thursdays at 10am. (512) 759-4008. 205 West Street.