Contact
 
 
County
Kerr
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 708
Nearby
Towns
Hunt, Texas
null
Hunt Texas History:
The town was settled by former Kerrville residents who traveled up the Guadalupe River in search of ranch and farm lands. The . The Japonica post office opened 3 miles north of present day Hunt in 1880. The Hunt post office opened in 1913. Hunt is located in the center of a highly popular summer camp and resort area that began in the 1920s. The town’s economy depends on these visitors. Hunt is located at the junction of the north and south forks of the Guadalupe River at the intersection of SH 39 and FM 1340, 6.8 miles west of Ingram, and 12.7 miles west of Kerrville, Texas.
 
Historic Hunt, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Farmers and ranchers settled along the north and south forks of the Guadalupe River in the late 1850, forming the Japonica and Pebble communities. In 1912, Altus and Lizzie Joy bought land at the confluence and named the central settlement that developed there in honor of Robert Hunt, the prior landowner. Altus Joy established a post office in 1913, and an independent school district formed in the 1930s. By the 1930s, the area began attracting artists, including the acclaimed E.M. Schiwetz. During the next decades, Hunt became a center for summer camps, exotic game ranches, and religious and corporate retreat facilities, but retained its identity as a small, rural community.”
 
Historic Schumacher Crossing on the Guadalupe River:
“Christian Schumacher emigrated with his family from Germany to Texas in 1845, the year he was born. He came to Kerr County in 1880, later marrying Sarah Brazeal Sublett and moving to land along the Guadalupe River, near the site of an antebellum sawmill operation built by Gustav and Fredrich Tegener. In the 1920s, son John Randolph Schumacher built a series of dams across the river, providing security from raging floodwaters for a stream crossing and new road to hunt. Today, the dams remain and an improved highway bridge crosses the stream. Schumacher Crossing is still enjoyed for its scenery and access to the river.” The marker is located at the SH 39 Guadalupe River Bridge just before entering Hunt from Ingram.
 
Replica of Stonehenge II @ Hill Country Arts Foundation, Ingram:
This replica of Stonehenge is two thirds the size of the famous original Stonehenge near Amesbury, England. It was originally located 2 miles west of Hunt at the intersection of FM 1340 and Honey Creek Road. Because the land was listed for sale, Stonehenge was moved to the front yard of the Point Theatre in Ingram, Texas at 120 Point Theatre Road South. Another Stonehenge replica is located on the grounds of the University of Texas of the Permian Basin in Odessa, Texas.
 
Crider’s Rodeo and Dancehall, 1925:
Crider’s hosts a rodeo and live music and dancing every Saturday night between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The rodeo begins at 8pm; sign up for rodeo events at 7pm. Live music and dancing begin at 9pm. The Saturday night café serves hamburgers, catfish, and sides. (830) 238-4441. 2310 SH 39, Hunt, Texas 78924. The dance hall is located 3.5 miles west of Hunt on the South Fork of the Guadalupe River. Email
 
Hunt Store & Live Music:
This country store sells convenience store items, serves good food, and hosts live music, dancing and washer games and tournaments. The store also houses the local bank. (830) 238-4410. The store is located on SH 39. Reviews
 
Camp Verde General Store & Cafe, Camp Verde, TX:
The store was established in 1857 to provided goods and services to the soldiers stationed at Camp Verde. The original building was washed away in a flood; the current stone building was built around 1900. The building houses the local P.O. post office boxes. They sell unusual and specialty products from around the world. The restaurant serves very good sandwiches, salads, burgers, coffee and soft drinks, homemade cookies and other desserts. The store is open daily, 9am-5pm; closed major holidays. The restaurant is open daily, 11am-3pm. (830) 634-7722. 285 Camp Verde Road East, Camp Verde, Texas 78010. Camp Verde is located at the intersection of SH 173 and FM 480, 10 miles south of Kerrville, 13 miles north of Bandera, and 10 miles southwest of Comfort. From Kerrville take SH 173 south approximately 13 miles to Camp Verde. The store is located near the intersection of SH 173 and FM 480. Email 
 
Elaine's Table, Hunt:
Menu items include steaks, seafood, pasta, trout, and homemade desserts. Open Tue-Sun, 11am-2:30pm; Tue-Sat, 5pm;-9pm. (830) 238-4484. The restaurant is located on the Guadalupe River on the east side SH 39 in downtown Hunt. Reviews