2000 Census - 1,802
Goldthwaite Texas History:
The town was established in anticipation of the building of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway through the area. It was named for Joe G. Goldthwaite, the railroad official who conducted the auction of town lots. The Goldthwaite post office opened in 1886. When Mills County was being organized in 1886, several residents donated land to the county in exchange for having Goldthwaite named the county seat. The Santa Fe built shops and a roundhouse switch, intending Goldthwaite as a division point, but after labor problems in the town the railroad moved its shops to Brownwood. By 1898, Goldthwaite had 3 churches, two cotton gins, two gristmills, a number of other businesses, and 1,200 residents. The Santa Fe Railroad began construction on the Lake Merritt Dam in 1915; the lake is now privately owned. In 1988, the town's economy was based on wool, mohair, cattle, sheep, pecans, grains, and the production of farm equipment. There are many wind turbines in the area. Goldthwaite is located at the intersections of U.S. 183, U.S. 84, SH 16, and FM 574 (Lanna Valley Road), 54 miles north of Llano, 21.8 miles northeast of San Saba, 36 miles southeast of Brownwood and Brownwood State Park, 46 miles south of Proctor and Lake Proctor, 34 miles south of Comanche, 41 miles southwest of Hamilton, 49 miles west of Gatesville, 37 miles northwest of Lampasas, and 20 miles northwest of Lometa, Texas.
Regency Suspension Bridge, 1939:
One of 8 left in Texas, it spans 340 feet over the Colorado River, and is located at the intersection of Mills CR 433 and San Saba CC 137, road west of Regency, Texas. The Austin Bridge Company of Dallas spent six months building it; it was paid for by Mills and San Saba Counties. During WWII, locals used the bridge as a meeting and dance place. The bridge has been restored and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Regency is located 18 miles northwest of San Saba, Texas.
Mills County Courthouse, 1913:
The courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by Henry T. Phelps. A Civil War monument is located on the courthouse grounds. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The 2010 Mills County census was 4,936. (325) 648-2222. The courthouse is located at 1011 4th Street, Goldthwaite, TX 76844.
Mills County Jail, 1888:
This limestone jail was designed by J.B. Dumas and built by Green and Nichols of Lampasas. The old jail houses the Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture and the Mills County Historical Museum. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The jail is located on the courthouse square at 1001 Fisher Street.
Mills County Historical Museum:
The museum features historic artifacts and exhibits including hundreds of arrowheads, and an early 1900s dentist office, beauty shop, and kitchen. the chamber of commerce is housed in the museum. Open Mon-Wed, 9am-1pm, Thu-Fri, 10am-4pm; Sat, 10am-2pm. (325) 648-6212. The museum is located in the 1888 jail at 1119 Fisher Street.
Star Historical Museum, Star, Texas:
The museum features Historical items depicting the history Star. Items include old photos, and family archives of the first Star settlers. The museum is housed in Star's first electric power plant. Open Sundays, 3pm-5pm; admission free. (325) 948-3454 or /3677. The museum is located at 44 South FM 1047, Star Texas 76880. The museum is located just south of U.S. 84. Star is located at the intersection of U.S. 84 and RR 1047, 15.6 miles east of Goldthwaite. Star Texas Map Star Texas Area Map
Jenny Trent Dew Library:
Open Mon-Wed & Fri, 1-6pm; Thu, noon-6pm; Sun, 1-4pm; closed Sunday. 1101 Hutchings Street. (325) 648-2447. 1101 Hutchings Street. Email