Contact
 
 
County
Glasscock
Region
Big Bend
Population
2010 Census - 334
2000 Census - 300
Nearby
Towns
Garden City, Texas
null
Garden City Texas History:
Glasscock County was established in 1887, and was attached first to Martin County and then to Howard County for administrative purposes. In the late 1880s, the Ohio Land Company purchased land in the center of the county, drilled wells, built houses and encouraged settlers to move into the area. It sent its agent, Mr. Gardner, to establish and operate a store. An application for a post office was made in the name of Gardner City, but Washington officials apparently misread the application and the post office was established as Garden City. In 1893, 150 citizens signed a petition to formally organize the county. The towns of New California, Dixie and Garden City vied to be county seat. New California was chosen because it sat on higher ground and had a better water source. Garden City residents and businesses and their post office moved 1.5 miles to New California. The county commissioners renamed the town Garden City. A combination courthouse and jail was built in 1893. Its services as a jail were rarely needed. Once, the jail was not used for seven years and a mesquite tree grew up and blocked the doorway. In the 1950s oil was discovered at the Spraberry oilfield on the edge of Glasscock County. Garden City is located at the intersection of FM 33 and SH 158, 65 miles southwest of Colorado City, 31.8 miles west of Sterling City, 48 miles north of Big Lake, 57 miles east of Odessa, 37 miles southeast of Midland, 32 miles southeast of Stanton, and 27.6 miles south of Big Spring, Texas.
 
Glasscock County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them. (432) 354-2381. 117 South Myrl Street. Email
 
Glasscock County Courthouse, 1909:
The stone courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by architect Edward C. Hansford & Co. The 2010 Glasscock County Census was 1,226. (432) 354-2639. 117 East Currie Street, Garden City, Texas 79739.
 
Glasscock County Courthouse & Jail, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On May 9, 1893, a little over one month from the date of Glasscock County's formal organization, the first county commissioner's court issued bonds to erect a combination courthouse/jail building. L. T. Noyes of Houston, with the assistance of plasterer William T. Lovell, completed the structure on February 12, 1894. Originally, the ground floor of the building was used for court sessions and the second floor used as the jail. The 2-story stone building, later used only as a jail, features subtle Classical influences, including corner pilasters and a tall corbelled cornice. County bonds issued through the First State Bank of Garden City in 1909 were used to employ Mutual Construction Company, Inc. of Louisville, Kentucky, and architects Edward C. Hasford & Co., of Dallas, to build a new courthouse. The 2 1/2 story Classical Revival structure, constructed of 3-foot thick native stone from a local ranch owned by Steve Calverley, was completed on August 27, 1910. It features colossal Doric columns supporting its open pediment and a horizontal belt course which follows its 2nd floor window sills.” The current Glasscock County Courthouse has been in continuous use since 1910. A new jail was built in 1980.