Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 1,379
2000 Census - 1,341
Hico, Texas
Hico Texas History:
The original settlement was located on Honey Creek, but was relocated along the Bosque River in 1880 to be near the Texas Central Railroad. The Hico post office was established in 1860, closed in 1867, and reopened in 1871. The community established the Old Settlers' Reunion in 1882. Hico incorporated in 1883. The population was 1,480 in 1890, when a fire destroyed business and houses on the east side of Pecan Street. A few weeks later another fire ravaged the west side. Buildings were rebuilt in stone. Hico is a center for area cotton farmers and cattle ranchers. Its two block long Wild West themed main street is popular with visitors for its arts and crafts, and antique stores. The Billy the Kid Museum is also located downtown. Hico is located on the Bosque River at the intersections of U.S. 281, SH 6, and SH 220, 63 miles southeast of Eastland, 21 miles southeast of Dublin, 19.5 miles southeast of Stephenville, 42 miles southwest of Granbury, 26 miles southwest of Glen Rose, 49 miles southwest of Cleburne, 49.5 miles slightly west of Whitney, 53 miles northwest of Gatesville, 34 miles northwest of Clifton, 23.5 miles northwest of Meridian, 21 miles northeast of Hamilton, and 30 miles east of Proctor, Texas.
Billy the Kid Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Hico and the legend of Billy the Kid. Hico claims Billy the Kid escaped Pat Garrett’s shootout in New Mexico and eventually settled in Hico where he lived until his death at age 90. A Billy the Kid statue is located in town. The museum is open Mon-Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, 1pm-5pm. 254-796-2523. 114 N. Pecan Street, Hico, Texas 76457. Email