Groveton Texas History:
In 1881, the Trinity County and Sabine Pass Land and Railway Company built a lumber mill on the south side of its newly laid track and platted a townsite on the north side of the track. The town was named Grovetown after a nearby grove of blackjack trees. Residents immediately shortened it to Groveton. William Magee built the first building, a shack used as a saloon. The Groveton post office was established in 1882. Also that year, Trinity County voters elected Groveton as the county seat. The Trinity Lumber Company donated land for a town square and materials for the new brick courthouse. At this time, Groveton consisted of the two separate communities Groveton and Milltown. Each community had its own mayor. The two communities worked together to build churches and a school. The lumber company store was located in Groveton. Groveton incorporated in 1919. When area mills closed, many workers moved to Groveton whose mill remained open until December 31, 1930. In 1933, Groveton and Milltown began reporting a combined population count. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration began reforesting the area, and built a new jail, school and a gym. Today, Groveton is a lumbering, retail and small manufacturing center, and is a gateway to the Davy Crockett National Forest recreation areas. Groveton is located on the southwestern edge of the Davy Crockett National Forest at the intersections of U.S. 287, SH 94, FM 2912, FM 2262 and FM 355, 23.5 miles north of Onalaska and Lake Livingston, 39 miles northeast of Huntsville and Huntsville State Park, 26 miles northeast of Riverside, 19 miles northeast of Trinity, 27.7 miles southeast of Crockett and Houston County Lake, 53.4 southwest of Nacogdoches, 33 miles southwest of Lufkin, 48.7 miles northwest of Woodville and B.A. Steinhagen Lake, and 18.7 miles northwest of Corrigan, Texas.
Trinity County Courthouse, 1914:
The 1908 brick Trinity County Records building was designed in classical revival style by architect L. S. Green. When the Trinity County brick courthouse was built in 1914, the records building became the east wing of the new courthouse. The 1914 courthouse was designed in classical revival style by C.H. Page and Brother. The 2010 Trinity County census was 14,585.
Trinity County Jail, 1938:
This stone jail is located on the courthouse square on West First Street. It is still in use as the county jail. The jail was built by the W.P.A; it is still in use. (936) 642-1424.
Trinity County Historical Museum and Genealogical & Historical Research Center:
This museum and Hensley Genealogical and Historic Research Center is managed by the Trinity County Historical Commission. Some of the earliest county records were destroyed in two courthouse fires in the late 1800s. The county clerk’s office has birth and death records from 1903 to present. The clerk’s office and the museum have marriage records from 1876 to present. (936) 642-0242. Email
Ethel R. Reese Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (936) 642-2483. 126 West First Street.
Groveton Senior Citizen’s Center:
(936) 642-1541. 143 W. Front Street. Email
Annual Davy Crockett Bear Chase Marathon & Half Marathon, Mid-April:
Races include full and half marathons, a two man relay, a 5K run, and a one mile Li’l Critter Possum Walk. A free pasta dinner is served the night before at the Groveton High School Cafeteria. The race begins and ends at the high school. (936) 642-1715. The high school is located at W. 5th
Street and SH 94.
Trinity County Birding:
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Trinity County Bird Checklist with Photos
The months of April through October are the worst months for mosquitoes. Rub yourself with Bounce Fabric Softener sheets, or with Vicks Vapor Rub or pure Mexican Vanilla. Some swear taking a daily vitamin B-1 pill works to repel mosquitoes. Mosquitoes love you when you eat bananas. Mosquitoes are also attracted to some perfumes, including perfumed shampoos. Planting Marigolds in your yard repels mosquitoes. On a picnic table try covering the bottom of a white plate with “lemon fresh” dish wash soap, or use citronella candles. Home Depot sometimes sells the candles in small metal buckets. The ThermaCell Mosquito Repellant is also quite effective in ridding small outdoor areas of mosquitos. Dynatrap Company makes a large standing electric mosquito machine that works like electric bug zappers. It is very successful at making large areas mosquito free. When purchasing mosquito repellent buy those with the ingredient N, N-diethyl-M-toluamide. The fine net clothing available from Cabela’s and other sporting goods stores is highly effective in preventing mosquito bites.
East Texas Fall Foliage Trail:
A 22 mile self-guided tour information is available from the Nacogdoches Convention and Visitor Center. March. (888) 564-7351. 200 E. Main Street, Nacogdoches.
Davy Crockett National Forest Information:
This 161,842 acre forest was proclaimed a National Forest by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on October 15, 1936. It was named after Texas legend and defender of the Alamo, Davy Crockett
. Habitat consists of a lake, woodlands and streams. The forest is administered by the U.S. National Forest Service. Local headquarters are located in Lufkin. Local ranger offices are located in Kennard, Texas. The national forest is managed on a multiple-use philosophy and is used for lumbering, grazing, oil production, hunting, and recreation. Texas ranchers receive special use permits for cattle grazing. The forest is bordered on the northeast by the Neches River, and includes the 45 acre Ratcliff Lake, parks, a paddling trail, Mission Tejas State Park, and the 14,561 acre Alabama Creek Wildlife Management Area. The forest is located west of Lufkin, Texas. For more complete forest information, go to the Davy Crockett National Forest Home Page
. Facilities Map
Houston County Lake Information:
The 1,330 surface acre Houston County Lake was formed in 1966 by impounding Little Elkhart Creek. Its maximum depth is 40 feet, and it is 9 miles long. The lake is popular for its trophy bass, watersports, camping, and the hike and bike trails. The lake is managed by the Houston County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1. The lake is located on FM 229, 9 miles northwest of Crockett, Texas. For more complete lake information, go to the Houston County Lake Home Page
. Lake Location Map Public Access Facilities Map Current Lake Level
Lake Livingston Information:
The Lake Livingston Dam on the Trinity River was designed by Brown and Root, Inc. and completed by Forrest and Cotton, Inc. in 1969. The City of Houston and the Trinity River Authority own the Dam. The Trinity River Authority owns Lake Livingston and, in cooperation with the City of Houston, has acquired and operates numerous parks on the lake. The reservoir is used for municipal, industrial, irrigation, and recreation purposes. The towns of Blanchard, Pointblank, Coldspring and Onalaska, numerous residential areas, several public boat ramps, Lake Livingston State Park, Wolf Creek Park, Tigerville Park, approximately 14 private marinas, and over 5,000 campsites are located lakeside. The lake has a normal capacity of 1,788,000 acre feet and covers 82,600 surface acres. It drains an area of 16,616 square miles. It is approximately 2 miles long and has an average depth of 55 feet. This lake is the largest lake constructed for water purposes located totally within the State of Texas, and it is the 2nd
largest lake located within the borders of Texas. The undeveloped Pine Island is located in the middle of the lake. The FM 3278 Lake Livingston Bridge connects Polk and San Jacinto Counties. The Reservoir is located approximately 6 miles southwest of Livingston, Texas. For more complete lake information, go the Lake Livingston Home Page
. Lake Livingston Location Map Current Lake Level TPWD Public Access Facilities Map
Lake Livingston State Park Information:
This 635.5 acre park is located on the 84,800 surface-acre Lake Livingston, a reservoir on the Trinity River. It was acquired from private landowners in 1971, and opened to the public in 1977. The ghost town of Swartwout, a steamboat landing on the Trinity River in the 1830s to 1850s, is located nearby. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more complete park information watch the Park Video
and go to the Lake Livingston State Park Home Page
. From Livingston, take U.S. 59 South to FM 1988. Go right (west) on FM 1988 for 4 miles to FM 3126; go right (north) to the park.
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates
on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences.
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations