2000 Census - 8,716
Graham Texas History:
In 1871, Kentuckians Gustavus A. and Edwin S. Graham purchased 125,000 acres in Young County. In 1872, the brothers purchased a salt works and platted the townsite. The Wilson family who built the first store. The Graham post office was established in 1873. In 1874, Graham was elected county seat of the newly established Young County. A two store frame courthouse was built in 1876. It was replaced with a three story limestone courthouse in 1884. This building was razed when the current courthouse was built in 1932. The Texas Cattle Raisers Association was organized in Gram in 1877. Early businesses included a newspaper, a drug store, a gristmill, a sawmill, a cotton gin, a salt works, a brick kiln, two hotels, and several stores. Graham incorporated prior to 1900. In 1903, the Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway built a line from Fort Worth to Graham. In the 1920s, the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway built a line connecting Graham, Breckenridge and Cisco. Oil was discovered in 1917. In the 1980s leading industries included tourism, oil services, livestock feed manufacturing, and manufacturing. Graham is located at the intersections of U.S. 380, SH 16 and SH 67 (Loving Highway), 39.6 miles east of Throckmorton, 60 miles southeast of Seymour, 25.4 miles southeast of Olney, 60 miles south of Wichita Falls, 47 miles south of Archer City, 62 miles southwest of Bowie and Lake Amon G. Carter, 46 miles southwest of Runaway Bay and Lake Bridgeport, 27.7 miles southwest of Jacksboro, 39 miles northwest of Mineral Wells, 50 miles northwest of Palo Pinto, 20 miles northwest of Possum Kingdom Lake, 25 miles northwest of Graford, 46 miles northeast of Fort Griffin, and 33.7 miles northeast of the Hubbard Creek Reservoir and Breckenridge, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Historic Downtown Graham:
Many buildings retain their original store fronts. A number of buildings in the downtown area and on 4th Street feature murals. Murals include the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Association (founded in Graham) and the Coca-Cola Mural. Information regarding the murals, the Graham walking tour, and the Young County driving tour is available from the visitor’s center. (866) 549-0401. 429 4th Street.
Young County Courthouse, 1932:
The courthouse was designed in art deco style by Withers & Thompson. Limestone carvings of wagon trains, cattlemen, Indians, 2 eagles, and buffalo faces are located on the building exterior. The town square is the largest in the US; it covers almost 13 Acres. Magnolia and pecan trees dot the square. A gazebo, the Young County Veterans Memorial, and the 1884 Young County Courthouse archway and its Texas Historical Marker are located on the grounds. The 2010 Young County census was 18,550. (940) 549-2030. 516 4th Street.
Young County Jail, 1878:
The jail served as a jail from 1878 to 1921. It was originally a two story building. The jailer lived downstairs, and prisoners were detained in two upstairs cells. There were many dramatic jailbreaks, with lives lost on both sides of the law. In 1881, killer Jack Post, the only man legally hanged in this county, rode from the jail astride his coffin. The five Marlow brothers broke out in 1888, causing a major shootout and manhunt. 1332 SH 16 South.