Contact
 
 
County
Coryell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 15,751
2000 Census - 15,591
Nearby
Towns
Gatesville, Texas
null
Gatesville Texas History:
Gatesville was established on the Leon River in 1854 on land donated by Richard G. Grant. The Gatesville post office was established that same year. During its early years supplies were brought by Wagon from Houston. After the Civil War the town began to grow. It incorporated in 1870. By 1880, Gatesville was an important frontier supply station with 434 residents. In the early 1880s, residents gave $30,000 and land to the Texas and St. Louis Railway so that rail service could be extended to their town.  The railroad arrived in 1882, enabling Gatesville to become a commercial and shipping center for area farmers and ranchers. By 1884, the town had steam grist and saw mills, cotton gins, three churches, two schools, two weekly newspapers, a variety of service businesses, and approximately 600 residents. In 1911, the Stephenville North and South Texas Railroad completed a line between Hamilton and Gatesville; the track was abandoned in 1942. By 1972, the town had no rail service. Gatesville benefited from the establishment of Fort Hood in the early 1940s though it lost business to Copperas Cove in the 1960s and 1970s. Two women’s units, and a men’s maximum security unit of the Texas Department of Corrections are located in Gatesville. Gatesville is located on the Leon River just north of Fort Hood at the intersection of U.S. 84 (Main Street) and SH 36, 49.6 miles east of Goldthwaite, 32 miles southeast of Hamilton, 45.5 miles south of Meridian, 55.6 miles southwest of Whitney, 37.7 miles southwest of Waco, 32.8 miles southwest of Clifton, 36 miles west of Lorena, 20 miles west of McGregor, 36.8 miles northwest of Belton, 35.4 miles northwest of Temple, 30 miles northwest of Moody, 37 miles north of Killeen, and 26.4 miles north of Copperas Cove, Texas.
 
"The Grove," Texas History, 1859-1972:
The town was established in 1859 and named for a grove of oak trees. It was initially named Morrison Grove. The Grove post office opened in 1874. In the mid-1880s, the town had three general stores, a mill and a cotton gin, four churches including a Wend Lutheran church, and 150 residents. The town shipped cotton, grains and hides. In 1900, the town was one of the most prosperous in the county. After being bypassed by SH 36 in the 1940s, the town began to decline. Some area farmers were forced to relocate when Fort Hood was established in the early 1940s, and when Belton Dam was built in 1953. The last business closed in the early 1970s. The Grove is located just south of SH 36 at the intersection of CR 356 and FM 1114, 16 miles southeast of Gatesville, 18 miles southwest of McGregor, 9 miles southwest of Moody, and 16 miles northwest of Temple and Belton, Texas. "The Grove," Texas Map  "The Grove" Texas Area Map
 
"The Grove," Texas, 2012:
In 1972, The Grove owners W.J. and Martha Dube sold the town to antique dealer Moody Anderson. The sale included the old general store, post office, saloon, sheriff’s office, blacksmith shop and the working water well. Anderson restored the town and filled the buildings with antiques. The general store is filled from the floor to the tin pressed ceiling with antique farm implements, lanterns, patent medicines and other artifacts. Moody rented the contents for use as props in movies. Items from The Grove were used in the movies “Lonesome Dove” and the “Alamo.” In 2010, the then 82 year old Anderson sold the store to Fran Moyer, the granddaughter of W.J. and Martha Dube. When Anderson owned the town it became a spontaneous live music venue attracting over 400 visitors each weekend. Bands played on the front porch. Visitors danced on a paved dance floor and spent time at the Cocklebur Saloon where they were invited to BYOB. Activities were free but donations were accepted.
 
Gatesville Municipal Airport:
The airport has a 3,400 foot runway with Visual Flight Rules approach and an Automated Weather Observation System that is accessible by telephone or aircraft radio. Amenities include dusk to dawn runway lights, a beacon, 24 our self-serve fuel, and hangers and parking. (254) 865-6742. 137 Airport Road, Gatesville, Texas 76528.
 
Coryell County Courthouse, 1897:
The beautiful courthouse was designed in Second Empire Victorian style by courthouse architect W.C. Dodson. It is constructed of red sandstone and limestone blocks, and features a copper domed clock, tower and a rotunda skylight of cut glass designed in a Texas Star pattern. The interior décor is polished stone and carved wood. 620 East Main Street (U.S. 84).