Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 3,141
2000 Census - 3,264
Henrietta, Texas
Henrietta Texas History:
Henrietta was established in 1857 as the county seat of the newly formed Clay County. By 1860, it had ten houses and a general store. The Henrietta post office was established in 1862 when the county had 109 residents. During the Civil War, Henrietta was unprotected and suffered frequent Indian attacks, causing many residents to flee the county. This led to the county becoming officially unorganized. The town was eventually burned by Indians. In 1865, Dr. Elderidge brought a group of settlers to the site but was forced to leave when several were massacred. Goodleck Koozer, a Quaker who did not carry weapons, moved his family to Henrietta in 1870. He was killed by Chief Whitehorse, and his wife and daughters were kidnapped, though they were later released. His son escaped. When Clay County was reorganized in 1873, the first act of the grand jury was to indict Whitehorse who then fled the county and was never found. Settlers began returning to Henrietta in the 1870s. The post office was reestablished in 1874. In 1887, the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western Railway began servicing. Because Henrietta was the end of the line, travelers would take the train to Henrietta and then ride a stage to their destination. Until the early 1880s the town was a buffalo hunting supply center. In 1881, Henrietta incorporated. By 1890 the town had 2,100 residents, a photographer, several saloons and hotels, restaurants, a 400-seat opera house, two banks, a cigar manufacturer, churches, a school, a jail, and two newspapers. During the 1930s cotton was a main industry. Today the town is still a shipping point for cattle, cotton and grain. Henrietta is located on the Little Wichita River at the intersections of U.S. 287, U.S. 82, SH 148 and FM 1197, 41 miles northeast of Archer City, 33 miles east of Holiday, 33 miles southeast of Iowa City, 35 miles southeast of Burkburnett, 20 miles southeast of Wichita Falls, 41 miles northwest of Saint Jo, 27.6 miles northwest of Nocona, 38.5 miles northwest of Montague, 56 miles northwest of Decatur, 56 miles northwest of Bridgeport, 29 miles northwest of Bowie, and 42 miles north of Jacksboro, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Clay County Courthouse, 1884:
The brick and sandstone courthouse was designed in Italianate style by architects Wilson & Tozer. Before the 2nd empire style clock tower was replaced with a dome, the courthouse strongly resembled the 1885 Red River County courthouse in Clarksville. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Clay County census was 19,719. (940) 538-4651. 100 North Bridge Street, Henrietta, TX 76365.
Clay County Jail, 1884:
This jail (1884-1970) is almost large enough to be a courthouse. It is located on the square adjacent to the courthouse. The door is located at the rear of the courthouse at 116 North Graham Street. The jail now houses a museum. The wooden 1875 Jail is located on the rodeo grounds.

Clay County Jail Museum & Heritage Center:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Henrietta and Clay County including the original gallows, period furnishings, farming and ranching displays, photographs and archives. Open Thu-Fri, 10am-2pm; Sat, 1pm-4pm; private tours are available by appointment. (940) 538-5655. 116 North Graham Street. Email 
Edwards Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs including free English classes, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, adult computer classes, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Wed & Fri, 9am-5pm; Thu, 9am-8pm; closed Saturday and Sunday, and for lunch, 12:20pm-1:30pm. (940) 538-4791. 210 West Gilbert Street.