Contact
 
 
County
Dallas
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 8,564
2000 Census - 8,900
Nearby
Towns
Highland Park, Texas
null
Highland Park Texas History:
The first Anglo Americans to arrive in the area were a group of Texas Rangers who camped on Turtle Creek after surviving a savage Indian battle. In 1838, the Caddo Indian trace was surveyed. It became part of the National Central Road between Austin and the Red River, and became part of the Shawnee cattle drive Trail to Missouri. Today this road is known as Preston Road. In 1843, Dr. John Cole, the first settler, arrived from Virginia. He acquired 420 acres of land from the Republic of Texas, land that is now the cities of Highland Park and University Park. In 1889, the land was purchased by the Philadelphia Place Land Association. Land agent Henry Exall planned to develop an upscale residential area along Turtle Creek. He created roads and dammed Turtle Creek to form Exall Lake before the 1893 land panic stopped development. Exall Lake became a favorite resort area in the 1890s. In 1906, John Armstrong purchased Exall’s land and developed Highland Park. The town layout was designed by Beverly Hills landscape architect Wilbur David Cook with the assistance of Fair Park designer, George E. Kessler. They allotted 20% of the land for parks. After Dallas refused to annex the town in 1913, Highland Park incorporated. By 1915, Highland Park was developing into a prosperous area and Dallas regretted its 1913 refusal to annex the town and its lovely tax base. Dallas set off a fight to annex that lasted until 1945 when both Highland Park and University voters defeated an annexation ballet initiative. After this defeat, Dallas proceeded to annex all the land around the two cities, preventing any future growth. In 1947, Highland Park and University Park set up a joint water and sewage services. Today, the two cities are known as the Park Cities. Highland Park has the distinction of being the 40th wealthiest city in the United States, and the 19th wealthiest city with a population of over 1,000. Highland Park is located 2 miles from Love Field on the southern border of University Park on IH-35 East and U.S. 75, 39 miles northeast of Fort Worth and Lake Worth, 26 miles northeast of Arlington, 23 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 18 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Joe Pool and Mountain Creek Lakes, 10.6 miles northeast of Irving, 56 miles southeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 27.6 miles east of North Richland Hills, 39 miles southeast of Denton, 24 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 25 miles southeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 15.3 miles southeast of Carrollton, 13 miles southeast of Farmers Branch, 10.7 miles southeast of Addison, 24 miles south of Frisco, 31 miles southwest of Rockwall, 28 miles southwest of McKinney, 26.4 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 21 miles southwest of Allen, 15.8 miles southwest of Plano, 15.7 miles southwest of Garland and Ray Hubbard Lake, 10.4 miles southwest of Richardson, 36.5 miles northwest of Terrell, 18 miles northwest of Mesquite, 3 miles northwest of Dallas, and 33 miles north of Waxahachie, Texas.  
 
Historic Highland Park Town Hall, 1923:
The town hall was designed by architects Otto Lane and Frank Witchell in Spanish Colonial style. It was built adjacent to the 1913 Fire Station/Engine House, and originally housed town offices and a public auditorium. The auditorium has been renovated and is used as office and meeting space. The 1913 Library was renovated to house the city council chambers, and to add additional space to the library. Town Hall and the library are open 9:30am-5:30pm Tue-Sat. 4700 Drexel Drive.
 
Highland Park Village (Shopping Mall), 1931:
This shopping mall was opened in 1931, and was the second shopping mall developed in the U.S. The mall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It contains many high end boutiques and other businesses, and offers valet parking. The Village is located at 88 Highland Park Village on the southwest corner of Mockingbird Lane and Preston Road in Highland Park, Texas, 75205. (214) 272-4872. Reviews 
 
Highland Park Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue-Sat, 9:30am-5:30pm. The library is located on the first floor of the town hall. (214) 559-9400. 4700 Drexel Drive.