Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - Unknown
Nearby
Towns
High Hill, Texas
null
High Hill Texas History:
The High Hill area is part of the original F. Anderson league and was first settled in the 1830s. In the late 1840s, German settlers established the communities of Oldenburg and Blum Hill. Oldenburg eventually became the northern portion of High Hill, and Blum Hill became the southern portion of the town. Early settlers included the Heinrich, Kleinmann, Seydler, Ebeling, Hillje, Siems, Steurcke, and Nordhausen families. Henry Ebeling established a store in Oldenburg in 1847, and John F. Hillje established a cotton gin and gristmill around 1856. The High Hill post office was established in Oldenburg in 1860. These businesses were soon followed by a Turnverein, two private schools, a community theater group, a choir and orchestra, six stores, blacksmiths and wheelwright shops, a hotel and a brewery. In 1873, the Galveston, Harris, and San Antonio Railroad planned to build a station on a line being built between San Antonio and Houston, and offered to build it in High Hill, but town residents refused the offer. The railroad built the line further south in Schulenburg. For most small Texas towns in the 1800s, being bypassed by the railroad meant the towns went into a decline; High Hill was no exception and it began to decline as Schulenburg began to grow. High Hill’s major attraction is the historic painted Nativity of Mary, Blessed Virgin Catholic Church which was built in 1906. High Hill is located on FM 615 , a short distance north of IH-10 and a short distance west of U.S. 77 at the intersection of FM 615 (High Hill and Krischke Roads) and FM 2672, 3 miles north of Schulenburg, 11.8 miles southwest of Praha, 6 miles slightly southwest of Dubina, 12 miles southwest of Ammannsville, and 15.7 miles south of La Grange, Texas.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
Nativity of Mary, Blessed Virgin Catholic Church, 1906:
This is one of the first churches designed by noted Texas architect Leo M.J. Dielmann who  also designed the Dubina and Fredericksburg painted churches. The gothic revival style brick church was built by Frank Bohlmann and painted by Hermann Kern and Ferdinand Stockert in 1912. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (979) 561-8455. This church is located at 2833 FM 2672, in High Hill, Texas 78956. Mass & Confession Schedule 
 
Historic High Hill Cemetery, 1858, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“High Hill post office, established about 1858, united three adjacent villages and gave this community cemetery its name. This six-acre tract was once the property of George Herder (1818-87), a German immigrant and a veteran of the battle of San Jacinto. The oldest stones here mark the graves of August Wolters, who died April 6, 1861, and Friedrich Eicholt, who died May 18, 1861, the cemetery contains about 241 graves, primarily those of German settlers in the area. Family members cared for the site until 1963, when the old High Hill Cemetery Association, Inc., was organized.” 
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook