Contact
 
 
County
DeWitt
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 70
Nearby
Towns
Hochheim, Texas
null
Hochheim Texas History:  
The town is named for Alsace-Lorraine native Volentine Hock who contracted for a homesite on a hill in Hochheim before he left Europe. Hoch and his three surviving children arrived at the homesite in 1856. His youngest child died days before he left Europe, another child died while they were at sea, and his wife died in route in Indianola. Hoch spent the first two and a half years building his two story home from stone gathered from the Guadalupe River. The stone house also served as the Stagecoach Inn. He opened a general store and eventually remarried and adopted his new wife’s three daughters. The community became known as Hocheim by the German settlers and as Dutchtown by the Anglo settlers. Because of the town’s location on the Austin-Indianola Road, it became a trading center. The Hochheim post office was established in 1870. By 1885 the town had 200 residents and ten businesses including general/grocery stores, a steam gristmill, a drug store and a blacksmith shop. The town shipped cotton, wool and hides. Daily stages connected Hochheim to Gonzales and Cuero. Hochheim’s population peaked with 261 residents in 1904. Volentine Hoch’s restored stone house still stands just south of town, a mile from the Guadalupe River. Hochheim is located just a mile east of the Guadalupe River at the intersections of U.S. 183, FM 443 and SH 111, 9.5 miles west of Yoakum, 18.5 miles southeast of Gonzales, 16 miles southwest of Sweet Home, 18.5 miles southwest of Shiner, 37.2 miles southwest of Flatonia, 26 miles southwest of Hallettsville, 43 miles southwest of Schulenburg, 48.5 miles northwest of Edna, 44 miles northwest of Victoria, 47 miles north of Goliad, 16 miles north of Cuero, 32 miles northeast of Yorktown, 31 miles northeast of Westhoff, and 92 miles east of San Antonio, Texas.
 
Historic Hochheim, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The town was founded near the home and stage stand of Valentine Hoch on old Austin-Indianola Road, 1856. In 1864, the German Methodist Church was built; a post office opened in 1869. The county’s first Protestant church was organized in 1841 on Cuero Creek by J.M. Baker and James N. Smith; it moved to Hochheim and became the Hochheim Presbyterian Church in 1882. In 1923, a Baptist church was founded. Concrete Lodge No. 182, A. F. & A. M. was chartered in 1856 with F. J. Lynch as the first worshipful master. In 1884, it became Hochheim Lodge; in 1885, it purchased the upper story of the schoolhouse for use as a lodge hall. In 1921, it purchased the lower story; it housed the school until 1938.” The marker located on U.S. 183, Hochheim.