Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 4,328
2000 Census - 4,291
Groesbeck, Texas
Groesbeck Texas History:
In 1835, Elisha Anglin settled the area after he received a Spanish land grant from the A. Varela survey. The town was established in 1870 when the Houston and Texas Central Railway extended its line from Kosse to Groesbeck, bypassing the Limestone County seat of Springfield which located five miles north of Groesbeck. Residents and businesses in Springfield moved to Groesbeck to be closer to the railroad. Groesbeck incorporated in 1871, and was elected the Limestone County seat in 1874. The first new building in town was the 1874 Limestone County Jail. The town became a trading center for area farms and ranches. By 1880, the population had dropped and the town was briefly unincorporated. In 1942, Groesbeck had 110 businesses and 2,272 residents. The impoundment of Lake Limestone in 1978 added tourism to the town’s economic base. Groesbeck is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Lake Limestone at the intersection of SH 14 (Ellis Street), SH 164 (Yeagua Street), FM 1245 (Trinity & Tyrus Streets), FM 937 (Navasota Street), and FM 2489 (Big Hill Road), 9 miles northeast
of Thornton, 42 miles east of Waco and Lake Waco, 58 miles southeast of Hillsboro, 41 miles southeast of Dawson and Lake Navarro Mills, 42 miles south of Corsicana, 12 miles slightly southwest of Mexia, 36.5 miles southwest of Streetman and Richland Chambers Lake & WMA, 34.6 miles southwest of Fairfield and Fairfield Lake State Park, 23 miles southwest of Teague, and 25.9 miles northwest of Buffalo, Texas.   
Limestone County Courthouse, 1924:
This beautiful courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architect R.H. Stuckey. It was built of brick, concrete, marble and tile. There is no courthouse square. The 2010 Limestone County census was 23,384. (254) 729-3810. 200 West State Street. 
Old Fort Parker Historic Park Information:
In 1832, theologian Daniel Parker received permission to settle in Texas. He organized his followers into the Predestination Baptist Church. They left Illinois in July of 1833, and eventually settled near the present city of Elkhart, where a replica of their Pilgrim Baptist Church still stands in their memory. In December, 1833, Elder John Parker and three of his sons began construction of Parker's Fort.On May 19, 1836, Noconi Comanche Indians attacked the fort. Five settlers were killed and 5 were captured. The surviving 21 settlers moved to the Palestine area. One of those captured was a young child named Cynthia Ann Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children by him. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers (including Charles Goodnight) rescued her and her infant daughter, Prairie Flower. Cynthia begged to be returned to her husband, but her request was refused. She died within a short period of time after her rescue. Her son Quanah Parker became the last Great War Chief of the Comanche. This 37.5 acre park on Fort Parker Lake was deeded to TPWD by private owners in 1936, and opened to the public as a state park. It is not longer under TPWD management. The reconstruction of the original fort, the construction of park buildings, and the building of the dam on the Navasota River to create Fort Parker Lake was completed by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in 1936. The fort was reconstructed again in 1967. The Fort Parker Cemetery is located 2 miles from the fort. The cemetery contains the graves of the people killed in the 1836 Comanche Raid, and is still used for burials. This historic site is available for event rentals. For more complete park information, go to the Old Fort Parker SHS Home Page.(254) 729-5253. 866 Park Road 35, Groesbeck, Texas 76642. Email    
Limestone County Historical Museum:
Features exhibits and information depicting the history of Limestone County; it includes exhibits relating to Old Fort Parker. Open Sat, 10am-2pm. (254) 729-5064. 210 W. Navasota Street.
Mafett Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue-Fri. (254) 729-3667. The library is located at 601 W. Yeagua Street (SH 164).
Event Venue - City of Groesbeck Convention Center:
This reservable facility features a 5,000 square foot Grand Hall, a 1,300 square foot Club Room, a caterer’s kitchen, and an outside Veranda. (254) 729-3894. 100 East Navasota Street. Email 
Annual Wortham, Texas Cradle of the Country Blues Festival, Sept:
This festival is traditionally held on the first or second Saturday in September in downtown Wortham. Gates open at 3pm and music begins at 5pm. An admission fee applies. Kids five and under are free. Bring lawn chairs, hats and sunscreen. Wortham is located on IH-45, 29 miles south of Corsicana, and 8.3 miles north of Mexia, Texas. Email
Lightsey Farms, Mexia:
Sisters, and former teachers, Mary and Lisa Lightsey took over the farm from their father. They sell several varieties of peaches, pears, pomegranates, and figs from a stand located outside Mexia. The stand is open daily. (254) 562-6913. 2033 FM 1365 Mexia, TX 76667. Email
Annual Mesquite Tree Festival & Parade in Coolidge, TX, 1st Friday & Saturday in May:
Activities include a Friday night fish fry dinner followed by live music. Saturday activities include a pageant, a parade, food vendors (4th & Bell Streets), arts and crafts, live music on the Bell Street Stage, and an 8pm street dance to live music. This event is held at the Coolidge Civic Center. (254) 786-2946. (254) 786-2090. Coolidge is located 23 miles northwest of Groesbeck and 11 miles northwest of Mexia, Texas. Coolidge Map; Click to Enlarge  Coolidge Texas Area Map
Annual Fall Frolic, Halloween, a Saturday in Oct:
The Groesbeck Volunteer Fire Department will host the haunted house at the Civic Center on Navasota Street. Other activities include face painting, sales of turkey legs, a kids’ costume contest, a pet costume contest, a tattoo booth and Halloween hair, bobbing for apples, trick or treating, and a clown. A fee applies to some activities. Admission to the pet costume contest is one can or bag of cat or dog food or a $5 to LARAS House, an animal rescue shelter. Open 6pm-8pm. This event is sponsored by the City of Groesbeck and the Groesbeck Chamber of Commerce. (254) 729-3293. Pet Contest: (254) 729-3809. This event is held at the Old Ball Field.
Billy B's Sale Barn Cafe:
(254) 729-2253. 1401 East SH 164. Reviews 
Kosse Café, Kosse, TX:
The café has a fruit and salad bar and serves great pies. Open Mon-Sat, 6am-9pm; Sun, 7am-9pm. (254) 375-2274. The café is located at the intersection of SH 14 and SH 7 in Kosse, Texas, 16.4 miles southwest of Groesbeck, and 7 miles southwest of Thornton, Texas. Kosse Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Kosse Texas Area Map  Reviews