Contact
 
 
County
Hunt
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 25,557
2000 Census - 23,960
Nearby
Towns
Greenville, Texas
null
Greenville Texas History:
Greenville was established in 1846 by the Texas legislature as the county seat of the newly formed Hunt County. Central county area residents voted to establish the town on a 640-acre site donated by McQuinney Howell Wright, a surveyor, land speculator, and early settler. The town was platted the same year, and town lot sales began in 1847. The first county courthouse, a 22 foot log building, was built using funds from the lot sales. Hunt County grew rapidly as farmers moved into the area. Greenville grew more slowly. The Greenville post office was also established in 1847. By the 1850s, Greenville had a store, three taverns, three grocery stores, a law office, two hotels, a drug store and a school. The town incorporated in 1852. In 1880, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (MKT) built a line through town. The East Line and Red River Railroad arrived in 1881. By the mid-1880s, the town had 3,000 residents and was a commercial and shipping center for area cotton farmers. The town’s waterworks were completed in 1889, and by 1891 it had an electrical plant. By 1892, Greenville had a daily and three weekly newspapers, two banks, two opera houses, an ice factory, flour and feed mills, a cotton compress, and the machine shops of the MKT Railroad. The population grew to 14,000 by 1914. During World War II, the town issued bonds to fund and improve 740 acres of land outside the city for use as a federally funded wartime air field. The field was named Majors Field after Lt. Truett Majors of Greenville, the first Hunt County man killed in World War II. The presence of the air field has helped Greenville expand its post war economic base. Audie Murphy, the most decorated American soldier in WWII, was from GreenvilleToday Lee and Washington Streets are lined with antique and specialty shops. Many Greenville residents commute to the Dallas area for work. Greenville is located at the intersections of IH-30, U.S. 67, U.S. 69, U.S. 380, SH 34, SH 224 and SH 66, 32 miles northeast of Terrell, 49 miles northeast of Dallas, 29.5 miles northeast of Rockwall and Ray Hubbard Lake, 20 miles northeast of Royce City, 9.5 miles northeast of Caddo Mills, 34 miles southeast of McKinney, 23 miles southeast of Princeton, 20 miles southeast of Lake Lavon, 15 miles east of Farmersville, 50 miles southeast of Sherman, 12.7 miles southeast of Celeste, 35 miles south of Bonham and Bonham State Park, 53 miles southwest of Paris, 30 miles southwest of Cooper, 25 miles southwest of Jim Chapman Lake, 15 miles southwest of Commerce, 54 miles west of Mount Vernon, 32 miles west of Sulphur Springs, 11 miles west of Campbell, 50 miles northwest of Quitman, 28.6 miles northwest of Emory and Lake Fork, 21 miles northwest of Point, 24 miles northeast of East Tawakoni and Lake Tawakoni, 23 miles north of West Tawakoni, 15 miles northwest of Lone Oak, 34 miles northwest of Wills Point, and 52 miles northwest of Canton, Texas. 
 
Hunt County Courthouse: 
This brick and stone courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Charles H. Page, Jr. and Bro. The beautiful 1885 Courthouse was torn down; it was similar to the 1883 courthouse that was destroyed by fire. The 2010 Hunt County census was 86,129. (903) 408-4100. 2507 Lee Street, 75401.