Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 1,419
2000 Census - 1,299
Nearby
Towns
Granger, Texas
null
Granger Texas History:
The town was established in 1882 at the site of the intersection of the Houston and San Antonio branches of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. When residents and businesses of nearby Macedonia moved to the new town to be closer to the railroad, they brought their grange hall, lodge, general store with them. The new community was named Pollack, and was later renamed Granger after John R. Granger, a Civil War veteran. The fertile Blackland Prairie was excellent for raising cotton, and Granger became a marketing and shipping center for the area cotton farmers. By 1893, the Georgetown Granger Railroad Company had laid more than 15 miles of track between Granger and Georgetown. The Granger post office was established in 1884. By 1890, Granger had three churches, a college, a hotel and three cotton gins. Granger incorporated in 1891. By 1910, Granger had a cotton compress and cottonseed oil mill, electric lights, waterworks, and an ice factory. The Granger Cotton Mill was one of the largest in the United States. The Storrs Opera House was built in 1905. Czech immigrants were attracted to the area; a Czech Protestant church was organized in 1880. A Brethren congregation, the most important Czech Protestant church in Texas, was established in 1892. The Granger population peaked in the mid-1920s at over 2,000. Granger Lake was impounded on the San Gabriel River in 1981. The remake of the movie True Grit was filmed in Granger in 2010. Granger is located at the intersections of SH 95, FM 971 (Davilla) and CR 301 (Davilla),48 miles northeast of Austin, 30 miles northeast of Round Rock, 29 miles northeast of Pflugerville, 18 miles northeast of Georgetown, 22 miles southeast of Salado, 11 miles southeast of Walburg, 29 miles south of Belton, 44 miles southwest of Cameron, 36 miles northwest of Rockdale, 23 miles northwest of Thorndale, 27 miles northwest of Elgin, 19 miles north of Coupland, and 10.8 miles north of Taylor, Texas.
 
 Historic Friendship Community, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Beneath the waters of Granger Lake, constructed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the 1970s, lies the site of an early agricultural settlement known as Allison and later as Friendship. Brothers Elihu Creswell Allison and James A. Allison began ranching here in 1847, in what was then Milam County. A post office named Conel operated 1878-80, and in 1892 a new post office opened for Allison. Located along Willis Creek, Allison boasted a cotton gin, a store, a Baptist church, a tabernacle, a community cemetery and the Allison schoolhouse (later known as Old Friendship), and a Woodmen of the World lodge. The devastating 1921 San Gabriel River flood destroyed the gin, store and tabernacle, and the new Friendship community developed nearby on higher ground. It prospered with businesses and social events, such as three-day fairs featuring political speeches and rodeos. Following consolidation with Centerville and Enterprise schools, a new Friendship schoolhouse opened in 1923. In 1958, Friendship merged with Granger School, but the building remained a community center for elections and a meeting place for farmers and homemakers. Agriculture remained the economic base of the community throughout its existence, and local farm and ranch families reflected diverse cultures, including Anglo, Czech and African American. Most residents dispersed in the 1970s, after construction of the Laneport (later Granger) Dam across the San Gabriel River. Allison (old Friendship) Cemetery burials were relocated to Granger cemeteries. Much of the recorded early life of the community was the work of Stacy Mikulencak Labaj (1903-77), who collected oral histories with longtime residents. Today, a reunion of Friendship families and friends keeps the memories alive for future generations.” The town is located under Lake Granger, 6 miles east of Granger, Texas.  
 
Austin Community College:
(512) 223-7000. Classes are held at Granger High School at 300 North Colorado Street.
 
Taylor SPJST Lodge No. 29 & Dance Hall, Taylor, TX:
SPJST stands for Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texasuilt, or Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State Of Texas, a nondenominational fraternal group formed in 1897. Men watch sports and women play dominoes in the downstairs bar. The kids’ game room features arcade games, two pool tables and an air hockey machine. Upstairs features one of the grandest banquet halls in the area. Adult member meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm. Youth meetings are held on the first Sunday of each month at 1pm. Dances are generally held on Wednesdays and Fridays. Check the Facebook page for dates. Dance admission is free. The lodge hosts senior citizens dominos every first Wednesday of each month followed by a covered dish meal. (512) 352-9139. (512) 281-4719. Temple Texas Main SPJST Office: (800) 727-7578. The lodge is located at 5025 FM 619, Taylor. In Taylor take SH 95 to East 11th Street. Go east on 11th Street. Go left on Washburn at the “T.” Veer right on Thorndale Road. Drive 1.8 miles to the lodge. Facebook  Taylor Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Taylor Texas Area Map   
 
Coupland Inn and Dance Hall, Coupland & BBQ Restaurant:
This dance hall has a wood dance floor, great antiques, and an 1886 antique bar. This dance hall was featured in the movies “Lonesome Dove,” and “A Perfect World.” Coupland Inn is a great private party venue. The restaurant is open Fri-Sat, 5:30pm-10pm. The dance hall is open Fri, 8pm-Midnight, Sat, 8pm-1am. (512) 856-2226. 103 Hoxie Street. Coupland is located along Brushy Creek at the intersections of SH 95, Spur 277, and FM 1466 (Hoxie Street), 25 miles northeast of Austin, 8 miles south of Taylor, and 8 miles north of Elgin, Texas. Coupland Map; Click to Enlarge  Coupland Texas Area Map  Dance Hall and Restaurant Reviews 
 
Cotton Club Dance Hall & Steakhouse, 1900s:
Activities include live music in the 1900s dance hall on Friday and Saturday nights, and a Sunday jam session hosted by the ”Can’t Hardly Playboyz.” This venue is available for private parties. Open Thu, 6pm-midnight; Fri, 5pm to midnight; Sat, 5pm-1am; Sun, 4pm-11pm. (512) 859-0700. 212 E. Davilla Street, Granger. Reviews
 
Annual Williamson County Livestock Association Youth Fair, Jan, Georgetown, TX:
This event is held at the Georgetown Arena in San Gabriel Park at 445 East Morrow Street, Georgetown, Texas 78726. Contacts
 
Taylor Area Farmer's Market, Taylor, TX:
Vendors sell area grown produce and fruits. The farm is open to tours and direct product purchases by appointment. They sell at the Round Rock Farmer’s Market on Sundays, 11am-2:30pm at 1420 East Palm Valley Boulevard. (512) 694-2220. Email
 
Betsy Ross Grass-fed Beef Farm, Granger, TX:
Betsy, Kathryn and Joe David Ross raise and sell hormone and antibiotic free grass-fed beef. Fresh or frozen beef is sold year round. Weekly deliveries are available in the Austin and Georgetown areas; shipping is available. They also sell liquid compost. (512) 862-3240. 410 CR 493, Granger, Texas 76530. Email
 
Pecan Creek Farm, Taylor, TX:
They sell farm eggs produced from pastured chickens. Pullets are available in the spring from fall hatches. In summer 2012 they were not selling pullets or eggs; the few chickens they had were laying very poorly. The farm is owned by Bill and Joan Cabaniss. (512) 365-5840. 1215 CR 415, Taylor, Texas 76574. Email
 
Ricoco's Latin Grill, Taylor:   
(512) 352-9300. 121 East 3rd Street. Reviews
 
Mariachis De Jalisco Mexican Grill, Taylor:
(512) 352-1700. 3100 North Main Street. Reviews
 
Masfajitas Mexican Restaurant, Taylor:
(512) 352-9292. 2600 West Second Street. Reviews
 
Louie Mueller Barbeque, Taylor:
This Central Texas favorite serves excellent beef ribs and other barbeque meats. Open Mon-Sat, 10am-7:30pm or until sold out; closed Sundays. Be prepared for long lines during the lunch hour. (512) 352-6206. 206 W. 2nd Street. Reviews
 
Taylor Café Barbeque Restaurant, Taylor:
This restaurant was established in 1949 by World War II veteran and barbeque legend Vencil Mares. Vencil can still be found at the restaurant chatting up the customers.This restaurant has a great ambience, smoke and all. It also has a jukebox and is open on Sundays. Bring your camera because the interior is worth photographing. The restaurant is known for its great brisket. There is no air conditioning. (512) 352-2828. Taylor Café is located in oldest building in downtown Taylor near the railroad at 101 N. Main Street. Reviews