Contact
 
 
County
Palo Pinto
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 478
2000 Census - 451
Nearby
Towns
Gordon, Texas
null
Gordon Texas History:
In 1880, the Texas and Pacific Railway was constructing a line through Gordon. The town was named for railroad engineer H.L. Gordon. The town became an important shipping point for area farmers and ranchers. The railroad bypassed Palo Pinto, Hampton and Thurber causing the decline of the latter two towns. The Gordon post office was established in 1883. Gordon incorporated in the 1920s. The historic downtown features buildings constructed around 1900. Gordon is located 2 miles north of IH-20 at the intersection of SH 193 (Cedar Street) and FM 919 (Main Street), 49 miles northeast of Proctor and Proctor Lake, 31 miles northeast of Eastland, 21 miles northeast of Ranger, 8.4 miles northeast of Strawn, 5.8 miles northeast of the ghost town of Thurber, 49 miles southeast of Breckenridge, 62 miles southeast of Graham, 39.6 miles south of Possum Kingdom Lake, 39.5 miles southwest of Graford, 31 miles southwest of Mineral Wells, 14 miles southwest of Palo Pinto, and 26 miles northwest of Stephenville, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Gordon Community Library & Museum:
The library is located in the oldest structure in Gordon. It serves southern Palo Pinto County, offers meeting rooms, and features exhibits depicting the history of the area. Open Tue, 10am-6pm; Wed-Fri, 10am-4pm; closed Sundays and Mondays. (254) 693-5680. 204 South Main Street. Email  Facebook    
 
Thurber Bocce Ball:
The Thurber Historical Association maintains the bocce ball fields and hosts the annual St. Barbara’s Church Bocce Ball Tournament and the Bocce Ball Texas State Championship Tournament.
 
New York Hill Restaurant, 1989, Thurber, TX:
The restaurant is located on the top of New York Hill overlooking the small town of Thurber. It is located adjacent to Greystone Castle and the W.K. Gordon Museum. It overlooks the historic Thurber bandstand, a typical miner’s home, the historic caboose, and the town’s two bocce ball courts.Free Wi-Fi is available. Open Sun-Thu, 7:30am-9pm; Fri-Sat, 7:30am-10pm. (254) 672-5848. 292 CR 107, Thurber, Texas. Take the IH-20 Exit 367.Email  Reviews
 
Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber, TX:
This restaurant was originally housed in the old Thurber Drugstore building. When the building burned in 1992 the Bennett family rebuilt the restaurant in the north end of the old Texas & Pacific Mercantile building which was built out of the original late 1890s Thurber bricks. The restaurant takes its name from the tall smokestack that used to provide the town’s electricity. In addition to serving homemade country style cooking, they sell six packs of Dublin Dr. Pepper made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar. They also have free Wi-Fi. Open Sun-Thu, 7am-9pm; Fri-Sat, 7am-10pm. (254) 672-5560. Take the IH-20 Exit 367. Email  Reviews