Contact
 
 
County
Fannin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,668
2000 Census - 1,746
Nearby
Towns
Honey Grove, Texas
null
Honey Grove History:
The first Anglo Americans arrived in the area in 1842. Within a few years a community developed. The town received its name from an apiary in a nearby grove. The Honey Grove post office was established in 1846, and the town incorporated in 1890. In the mid-1880s, the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through the area, helping the town become a shipping and retail center for area farmers.
The town has brick lined streets and a beautiful post office and City Hall. The town is billed as “The Sweetest Town in Texas.” Honey Grove is located at the intersections of U.S. 82, SH 34 (1st Street), SH 56 (Main Street) and FM 100, 18 miles east of Bonham, 43 miles southeast of Sherman, 42 miles southeast of Denison, approximately 22 miles south of the Red River and the Oklahoma border, approximately 8 miles south of the Caddo National Grasslands, 22 miles southwest of Paris, 37 miles northwest of Cooper and Jim Chapman Lake, 26 miles north of Commerce, 38.7 miles northeast of Greenville, 56 miles northeast of McKinney, and 33.5 miles northeast of Celeste, Texas.
 
Honey Grove City Hall, 1887-1889:
This beautiful building was constructed of native limestone from the Floyd Quarry, an early industry in Honey Grove. It has a reservable meeting room and kitchen. Click the above link for photos. (903) 378-3033. 633 N 6th Street, Honey Grove, Texas 75446. Email
 
SH 78 Red River Through Truss Bridge:
This WPA project bridge designed by the Oklahoma Highway Commission and was built by the Kansas City Bridge Company between 1937 and 1938. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge is located approximately 12 miles north of Bonham, Texas.
 
Sam Rayburn House Museum State Historic Site Information:
At the age of 29 Sam Rayburn won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives where he became one of the most powerful and influential politicians of the 20th century. He spent 24 terms (48 years) in the U.S. House of Representatives where he rose to Speaker of the House. In 1927, Rayburn married Metze Jones, the sister of Rep. Marvin Jones of Amarillo. They divorced that same year. In 1916, Rayburn built a two story white frame house for his parents on 125 acres for the cost of $2,800. When not in Washington D.C., Sam Rayburn lived at the house with members of his family, or spent time on his nearby 900 acre ranch. The house originally had a front porch on both floors of the house, but in 1934 the house was enlarged by converting the porches into a two story portico. Also, at this time, a 4th pillar was added to the front façade. A kitchen was added later. Today the home is furnished with original family furnishings. Artifacts include a 1930s radio, photos of FDR, and period china and other items the family used. Out buildings include a smokehouse, a barn housing Rayburn’s Farmall H. Tractor, and a garage housing Mr. Sam’s Dodge pickup, Ms. Lou's 1955 Plymouth, and the 1947 Cadillac given to him by 142 congressmen at the end of his first term as speaker of the house. At the time of Rayburn's death, his estate included his home on 125 acres, a 325 acre ranch near Ector, 927 acres near Ivanhoe, and furnishings and possession. The bulk of this property was bequeathed to the Sam Rayburn Foundation. His sister lived in the home until her 1969 death. ADA compliant areas include the parking lot, restrooms, Visitor Center, the porch and the first floor of the house, though access to the house may be limited to smaller wheelchairs. There are no sidewalks. The garage housing Rayburn’s 1947 Cadillac is ADA compliant, but it must be accessed via the lawn. The Visitor Center offers a PowerPoint presentation of the tour. The THC hosts special programs & events. For more information read the Park Brochure. Open Tue-Sun, 9am-4:30pm; closed major holidays. A small admission fee applies. Group tours are available by appointment. (903) 583-5558. This State Historic Site is located at 890 SH 56, Bonham, Texas 75418. From Bonham, travel 1.5 miles west on SH 56 to the museum.
 
Bertha Voyer Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library is open Tue, 10am-noon and 1pm-7pm; Wed, 10am-noon and 1pm-5pm; Thu, 1pm-7pm; Fri, 1pm-5pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sunday. (903) 378-2206. 500 N. 6th Street. Email