Contact
 
 
County
San Patricio
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 1,907
2000 Census - 2,318
Nearby
Towns
Gregory, Texas
null
Gregory Texas History:
The Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company and the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway partnered to build a town at the Corpus Christi junction. The town was named after U.S. Attorney General Thomas Watt Gregory, a close friend of George W. Fulton of the Coleman-Fulton Company. In 1887 the company gave 640 acres for the town and built cattle pens; a post office was granted the same year. J.S.M. McKamey, one of the first settlers in the area, purchased a 2 mile square block of land north of Gregory in 1890; he built a two story building; his store operated out of the downstairs, and his family lived upstairs. In 1898 the Coleman-Fulton company moved its headquarters from Rincon to the fast growing railroad town of Gregory. In 1912 the company built a two story building that housed its offices, a bank, and a company store downstairs, and an auditorium upstairs for local gatherings. After Joseph F. Green took over the company in 1900, his progressive and innovative farming and ranching programs drew increasing numbers of visitors to the company’s ranch, seven miles north of Gregory at Rincon. In 1909 the company built the Hotel Green in Gregory; it was recognized as one of the finest hotels on the coast and quickly became famous for its fine food. President Taft’s press corps stayed in the hotel when he visited the ranch. Passengers traveling on the 12 or so daily passenger trains through Gregory made it a point to stay the night at the Hotel Green. The town started declining in the 1920s when the company moved its offices to Taft, though growth picked up again when Reynolds Metals built a plant at La Quinta in 1952. The Hotel Green moved to Taft in 1922. Gregory was incorporated in 1951. The old Gregory train depot is still located near the tracks. Gregory is located at the intersections of U.S. 181, SH 35, and SH 361, 3.8 miles northeast of Portland, 12.8 miles northeast of Corpus Christi, 17.6 miles west of Aransas Pass, and 17 miles west of Port Aransas, Texas.
 
Town of Gregory, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The town ofGregory traces its beginnings to 1886. The year the San Antonio and Aransas Pass railroad built a line through San Patricio County. The railroad and the local Coleman-Fulton pasture company joined forces to build a station here at a site known as Corpus Christi Junction. A switch where the rail line turned toward Corpus Christi and branched off to Aransas Pass. By 1887 the junction was known as Gregory, named for Thomas W. Gregory, a friend of the Fulton Family and later U.S. attorney general. A. U.S. post office opened on March 8, 1887, and the new community grew quickly, soon boasting stores, hotels, banks, and other businesses, as well as a school and several churches. As many as seven trains passed through the junction on daily round-trip schedule. By 1900 the town's population had reached 400, and the community received another boost when the Coleman-Fulton pasture company relocated its main office her from Rockport. The company built the 3-story Green hotel in 1909, and many train travelers relied on Gregory as a stopover point, although the company headquarters and the Green Hotel both relocated to Taft in the 1920s, the town survived and remains a viable residential community.”
 
Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company Marker Text:
“The Coleman, Mathis, Fulton Cattle Company was formed in 1871 by partners George Ware Fulton, Youngs Coleman, Tom Coleman, Thomas Henry Mathis, and J.M. Mathis, with headquarters in Rockport, the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company, with 167, 000 acres of land, was organized in 1879 after the Mathis cousins left the partnership. Fulton was a pioneer in fencing the open south Texas range and in shipping cattle by boat from company wharves. Continuing financial problems led Fulton to borrow funds for the company from David Sinton of Ohio. Eventually Sinton gained control of the company and at his death willed his interest of his daughter, Anna, wife of Charles P. Taft. The company became known locally as the Taft Ranch. Joseph F. Green became Manager in 1900 and built the ranch into one of the largest and most innovative in the state, introducing new crops and cattle breeds. The city of Taft was formed in 1904 as a company town and was sold at auction in 1921. Constructed in 1923, this building was the last headquarters for the Taft Ranch. By 1928 all ranch enterprises had been sold. The company's charter expired in 1980, leaving the town of Taft as its legacy.” Rincon Ranch headquarters was located approximately 8 miles north of Gregory, Texas.
 
Rincon Ranch and Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company Marker Text:
“Young's Coleman and his son Thomas established a south Texas ranching empire in the 1850s. The headquarters of their operation was here at Rincon where there was a fresh water depression. In 1871 the Coleman’s joined with George W. Fulton and T.H. and J.M. Mathis to form what became the Coleman- Fulton Pasture Company. The headquarters remained at Rincon and the ranch included a main house, worker housing, a school, commissary, and numerous other outbuildings. President William Howard Taft visited Rincon in 1909. The company was dissolved in the 1920s.” 
 
Mac’s Barbeque Restaurant:
They serve very good barbeque. (361) 643-5589. 219 SH 35, Gregory, 78359. Reviews 
 
La Iguana Restaurant, Portland:
They serve very good Mexican food. (361) 643-2063 ().100 5th Avenue, Portland, TX 78374. Reviews