Contact
 
 
County
Tarrant
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 46,334
2000 Census - 42,101
Nearby
Towns
Grapevine, Texas
null
Grapevine Texas History:
In 1844, the peace Treaty of Tehuacana Creek was signed by the Republic of Texas and twelve Indian tribes. By signing the treaty, the Texas government and the Comanche, Keechi, Waco, Caddo, Anadarko, Ioni, Delaware, Shawnee, Cherokee, Lipan Apache and the Tawakoni Indian tribes committed themselves to cease all hostilities and to work to establish cooperative commercial and political ties. This treaty provided a measure of safety for those wishing to settle in the Grapevine area and Tarrant County. In 1845, Archibald F. Leonard moved to the area with a group of settlers from Missouri. In the late 1840s, he established a store near the current Grapevine town square, and the present site of the restored Torian log cabin (215 South Main Street). A community developed around the store. It was formally platted in 1854, the same year the Grape Vine post office was established. Raising cattle was the main industry until after the Civil War when farmers began raising cotton. In 1888, the St. Louis Southwestern Railway built a line through town. By 1890, the town had four churches, a Masonic lodge, a school, three grist mills, three cotton gins, general stores, and 800 residents. Cattle ranching was the main industry until after the Civil War when cotton took over as the major industry. The St. Louis Southwestern Railway built a line through town in the late 1888. Grapevine incorporated in 1936. A night watchman patrolled the town with his lantern from the early 1900s until the 1950s, checking the doors of all the buildings. The city commissioned a sculpture commemorating the night watchmen. It was sculpted by local sculptor Jack Bryan, and stands atop the City Hall at 201 S. Main Street. The night watchman’s dog Muttin is commemorated in “The Sunday Skaters” sculpture by Archie St. Clair. This sculpture is located at 601 S. Main Street. In 1974, the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was established at Grapevine’s southeastern city limits, spurring the town’s rapid growth and causing a decline in farming. In 1990, the Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association moved to Grapevine, causing a mini boom in the growth of area vineyards. In 2009, Grapevine dedicated the “Valor Commitment Dedication” memorial to the flight crew members who died in the September 11, 2001 attack. The statue is located at 1000 Texan Trail at the airport. Grapevine bills itself as “The Christmas Capital of Texas.” Grapevine is located on the southeast shore of Lake Grapevine at the intersections of SH 121, SH 114 (Northwest Parkway & W. Northwest Highway) and SH 26 (East Dallas Road), 37 miles northeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 34 miles northeast of Benbrook and Lake Benbrook, 25.7 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 20 miles northeast of Lake Arlington, 18 miles northeast of Arlington, 14 miles northeast of North Richland Hills, 10 miles southeast of Trophy Club, 10 miles southeast of Flower Mound, 39 miles southeast of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 27 miles southeast of Denton, 25.89 miles southwest of Frisco, 5 miles southwest of Coppell, 29 miles southwest of Plano, 16 miles southwest of Carrollton, 12 miles southwest of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 29.5 miles west of Garland and Ray Hubbard Lake, 21 miles west of Addison, 15 miles west of Farmers Branch, 36.6 miles northwest of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 24 miles northwest of Dallas, 18.6 miles northwest of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, and 16 miles northwest of Irving, Texas. 
  
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, 1974:
The 36-hole Bear Creek Golf Club is located inside the airport grounds. It is repeatedly named the “The Best Course for a Corporate Event.” The 911 Flight Crew Memorial commemorating the flight crews who lost their lives in 9-11, is located at 1000 Texan Trail. Just south of the Flight Crew Memorial, the city has created an Airplane Observation Area. Amenities include sheltered picnic tables, free viewers, piped in audio from the control tower, and sculptor Dennis Smith’s “Share the Dream” statue of children romping in a field near the runway. The Minters Chapel Cemetery and Texas Historical Marker, and the Bear Creek Cemetery are located on the airport grounds.