Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 47,400
2000 Census - 28,399
Nearby
Towns
Georgetown, Texas
null
Georgetown Texas History:
ATonkawa Indian village was located on the San Gabriel River in the early 1800s. In 1848, the Texas State legislature established Williamson County and designated the Georgetown site as the new county seat. That same year, Thomas B. Huling and George Washington Glasscock donated land for the new town which was named after Glasscock. Settlers were attracted to the area because of the river, fertile soil and plentiful timber. Early settlers were from Tennessee, Kentucky, and other states. Swedish settlers arrived in the late 1850s, German, Austrian, and Swiss began arriving after1870, and the Moravians and Czechs arrived after 1880. Southwestern University was established in 1873, and the railroad arrived in 1878. A Georgetown cattle trail provided access to the Western, Chisholm, Dodge City, and Shawnee cattle trails. By the late 1880s, town industries included limestone quarries, grist, flour, planing and woodworking mills, cotton gins, brick building businesses, factories, a bottling works, and a mill. Between 1891 and 1960, master builder Charles Sanford Bedford and his heirs operated a lumberyard and constructed many fine homes and buildings. Between the 1880s and 1920s, cotton was the main crop. In 1904, the Georgetown and Granger Railroad connected the town to Austin. Lake Georgetown was impounded in 1979 for flood control and recreational purposes. Georgetown is billed as the “Red Poppy Capital of Texas” due to the large numbers of poppies that were planted and that bloom each spring. Georgetown is located on the South Fork of the San Gabriel River at the intersections of SH 29 (University Avenue), SH 130 Toll Way and IH-35, 48 miles northeast of Marble Falls, 37 miles northeast of Lakeway and Lake Travis, 17.6 miles northeast of Leander, 16 miles northeast of Cedar Park, 48.5 miles southeast of Lake Buchanan and the town of Buchanan Dam, 35.4 miles southeast of Burnet, 49 miles southeast of Lampasas, 25 miles southeast of Bertram, 42.3 miles south of Killeen, 15 miles southeast of Liberty Hill, 34 miles southwest of Belton, 25 miles southwest of Salado, 20 miles southwest of Granger, 20.6 miles northwest of Taylor, 36.7 miles northwest of Elgin, 28 miles northwest of Manor, 16.6 miles slightly northwest of Pflugerville, 10 miles north of Round Rock, 46 miles north of Elroy, and 28 miles northeast of Austin, Texas.

City of Georgetown Airport:
Facilities include a tower, 24 hour self-service 100LL Avgas pumps, 7 short-term aircraft parking spaces (may be rented for a maximum of 7 days), long-term use rental tie-down spaces, 18 overnight tie-down spaces, a first come complimentary courtesy car during normal terminal hours, a flight planning room, wireless internet access, a public lounge, a snack and cold drink area, restrooms, automated Weather Observing System, and nine land lease sites. The control tower operates daily, 7am-10pm. Terminal hours are daily, 7am-7pm; special holiday hours may apply. (512) 930-3666. Airport Manager: (512) 930-8464. 500 Terminal Drive, Georgetown 78626.
 
Williamson County Courthouse, 1911:
The brick and stone courthouse was designed in Beaux Arts style by courthouse architect Charles H. Page. It was remodeled in 1965. The 2010 Williamson County Census was 422,679. Some courthouse spaces are available for private events. The Williamson Museum offers free Williamson County Courthouse tours on Fridays and Saturdays at 1:30pm, 2:30pm and 3:30pm. (512) 943-1100. Rentals: (512) 943-1670. 710 Main Street.
 
Williamson County Jail, 1875:
The two story stone jail measured 22 feet by 30 feet. Amenities included two cells, an office and a cook room. It was used for 13 years and became well known for its numerous prisoner escapes. It was replaced in 1888. The jail is located adjacent to and northeast of the courthouse on Main Street.