Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - Unknown
Nearby
Towns
Hostyn, Texas
null
Hostyn Texas History:
In 1831, German Settlers established the town of Bluff on a bluff overlooking the Colorado River. Mass was celebrated by FatherMichael Muldoon. In 1856, a group of Czech immigrants arrived in Texas by ship. Some of this group founded the community of Dubina. Others in the group settled near Bluff, built a log cabin church, and named their community Hostyn. Among these Hostyn settlers were Joseph Janda, Alois Klimicek, Ben Klimicek, Val Kolibal, Frank Koza and Frank Marak who were later honored with a monument during the Texas Centennial. In 1868, the Hostyn community members established the first Czech Catholic school in Texas, and built a large Catholic church which they dedicated to the Queen of the Most Holy Rosary. In 1889, they founded the Czech Catholic Union of Texas (Katolicka Jednota Texaska or KJT), a Catholic fraternal organization. Over the years, many shrines and memorials were built on the church grounds including a replica of the Grotto of Lourdes in France. By 1900, Bluff had a gin, a blacksmith and a general store. In 1925, Father Paul Kasper officially renamed the community Hostyn. The cemetery adjoining the church is filled with Czech inscribed tombstones. During the Civil War, Joseph Lidiak and his son John (both from Moravia) fought on opposite sides. They are buried side by side in the cemetery and are honored with two Civil War cannons on the grounds. A new Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church was built in 1966. Hostyn is located on FM 2436 equal distance between FM 609 and U.S. 77, and 23 miles southeast of Smithville, 27 miles southeast of Giddings, 22.7 miles southwest of Round Top, 6.7 miles southwest of La Grange, 22 miles northeast of Cistern, and 11.8 miles north of Schulenburg, Texas.
 
Historic Hostyn, Oldest Czech Settlement, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The oldest Czech settlement in Texas was established at Hostyn when in November 1856 the families of Josef Janda, Valintin Kolibal, and Frantisek Koza arrived here from Czechoslovakia and in December 1856 arrived here Alois Klimicek, Benjamin Klimicek and Frantisek Mahak.”
 
Historic Czech Catholic Union of Texas, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On March 24, 1889, a group of Czech immigrants gathered here to form the Katolicka Jednota Texaska (KJT) or Czech Catholic Union of Texas. A fraternal benefit society, the KJT, was chartered on July 4, 1889, with six individual lodges through programs such as life insurance, financial aid to members, churches and educational scholarships, the organization has served people throughout the state and has grown to number over one hundred lodges. The KJT continues to uphold the purpose of its founders in the same fraternal spirit.” This marker is located on the Holy Rosary Catholic Church grounds.
 
Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Churches:
The 1932 replica of the tiny 1856 Holy Trinity Catholic Church is located on the church grounds. When the need rose for a larger church in 1869, a second church measuring forty feet by twenty-four feet was built. This church was dedicated to the Queen of the Holy Rosary. When the larger third church was built, the second church was converted into a rectory. This third church burned down in 1907. A fourth church was built in 1908. In 1966, the fourth church was dismantled to provide room for the building of the fifth church. The Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church is located at 936 FM 2436 in Hostyn, Texas. (979) 247-4441.
 
Chapel to our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, 1925:
Rev. Paul D. Kasper of Plum desired to create something beautiful out of the old wall surrounding the Holy Rosary Church. He drew up plans and using Mexican labor, he built the Chapel to our Lady of Lourdes (grotto) using pieces of petrified wood, the stones from the old wall and additional stores gathered from the banks of the Colorado River. The grotto is an exact replica of the world-renowned shrine of miracles in Lourdes, France. Its location on Hostyn Hill makes it visible for miles. Sculptured "Stations of the Cross" statues are located all around the church building. Pilgrimages are made to the chapel, and the chapel is used for weddings. The grotto is open during daylight hours. It is located on the grounds of the Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church at 936 FM 2436 in Hostyn, Texas. (979) 247-4441.
 
Queen of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church Chapel, 1932:
This 1932 replica of the 1856 Holy Trinity church was built of native store quarried from the F.J. Janacek estate. It was designed by a New Orleans architect. The chapel is located on the opposite corner of the church grounds from the grotto.
 
Brookfield-Evans-Cremer House, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“William Brookfield (1786-1849) and Musgrove Evans (1785-1855) brought their families from Michigan to Texas in the early 1890s, Brookfield and Evans' son Samuel bought the 1832 David Berry league where this house stands. In 1835, Samuel died at the Alamo the following year, Musgrove Evans and Brookfield's son Francis served in the Texas army at the Battle of San Jacinto. In 1838 the Republic of Texas congress voted to buy this land and the adjoining Eblin league as a location for the new capital, to be named Austin, but President Sam Houston vetoed the bill. Musgrove Evans later served as auditor general of the Republic. Brookfield erected a two-story stone residence at this site, when Mexican troops seized San Antonio in 1842, Samuel Maverick's family fled the city and took refuge here. David Berry, the original landowner, and Francis Brookfield joined other local men to fight the Mexican invasion force, they were both killed in the Dawson Massacre, Sept. 18, 1842. William Brookfield's daughter Emma (1814-1873), later occupant of the house, married Evans' son Vincent. After Vincent’s death, she married Julius Cremer (d.1889), the J.C. Brown family, Owners since 1893, rebuilt the structure after a fire in 1911 destroyed the second floor.”
 
Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic Site Information:
In 1848, the remains of the Texans killed in the Dawson Massacre and Black Bean Death Lottery were retrieved from their original burial sites and on September 18, 1848, were reinterred in a common tomb within a sandstone vault on Monument Hill in La Grange, Texas. In 1849, German immigrant Heinrich Ludwig Kreische purchased 172 acres of land which included the Monument Hill tomb. He built a three story house, and added the brewery in 1860. By 1879, the brewery was the third largest operating brewery in Texas. Kreische’s main product was “Kreische’s Bluff Beer.” Kreische maintained the tomb until his death in 1882. After his death, the tomb fell in disrepair. The brewery closed in 1884. Because the tomb was frequently vandalized, the Kreische family requested several times to have the tomb removed from the property. In 1905, the Texas legislature authorized the acquisition of the tomb and 0.36 acres. In 1936, theTexas Centennial Commission erected a 48 foot tall shell stone monument with an art deco mural to prominently mark the mass grave. The bronze angel guarding the crypt was sculpted by a famous Franco-American sculptor.In 1949, the tomb site was transferred to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. In 1956, the Archbishop of San Antonio and the citizens of Fayette County deeded 3.58 acres to the site, and in 1977, the 36 acre Kreische Brewery and Kreische Home sites were added. The park opened to the public in 1983. Monument Hill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of both sites are available at scheduled times and by special arrangement.Site admission is free. This historic site is located at 414 State Loop 92, La Grange, Texas. For more complete park information, read the Park Brochure, watch the Park Video, and go to the Monument Hill SHS Home Page