Contact
 
 
County
Hood
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 7,978
2000 Census - 5,718
Nearby
Towns
Granbury, Texas
null
Granbury Texas History:
In 1854 “Uncle Tommy” Lambert and Amon Bond led a group of immigrants to the Granbury area where they settled on the west side of the Brazos River near present day Granbury. In 1866, J. and J.H. Nutt donated 40 acres of river for the Granbury townsite. Also that year, Hood County was established and Granbury was elected county seat. The first two courthouses were made of wood and both burned down. The current limestone courthouse was built in 1890. Granbury was a leading trading center in North Central Texas for pecans, peanuts, peaches, grains, cotton and other products. Reunion Park was established after the Civil War in honor of returning soldiers who met annually at the park. The park arena was used for the trading and auctioning of livestock, and now hosts the annual Hood County Fair. The 1187 arrival of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway caused town growth. Thirty-nine one and two story limestone buildings built during that time are located downtown and on the courthouse square, including the 1886 Opera House, and the 1914 Depot which now houses the Genealogical Museum. In 1969 a dam was built across the Brazos River at De Cordova Bend, 6 miles southeast of Granbury. The resulting Lake Granbury added tourism to the town’s economic base. The building of the 1980s Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant contributed to the town’s growth. Jesse James is reported to be buried in the City of Granbury Cemetery. Contrary to the popular legend about James, it is believed by many, including many of his adult grandchildren, that James changed his name and lived to old age in Granbury. Granbury is located on the shores of Lake Granbury at the intersections of U.S. 377, U.S. 67 and SH 144, 52 miles southeast of Mineral Wells, 33 miles south of Weatherford, 40 miles southwest of Fort Worth, 28 miles southwest of Benbrook, 7.4 miles southwest of Acton, 33 miles northwest of Cleburne, 40 miles northwest of Meridian, 16 miles northwest of Glen Rose, 52 miles northeast of Proctor and Proctor Lake, 43 miles northeast of Dublin, 42 miles northeast of Hico, and 29.6 miles northeast of Stephenville, Texas.
 
Bluff Dale Tabernacle, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This tabernacle was built about 1906 on land given by Andrew Jackson Glenn, donor of the Bluff Dale townsite. The scene of many community events, including plays, singings, funerals and a high school graduation, the structure was primarily used for early camp meetings. Conducted for all area denominations and lasting for days, the revivals served as a source of community identity. The tabernacle is now used for an annual homecoming celebration.” The Tabernacle is located in Bluff Dale, Texas at the corner of Glenn and Holmes Streets. Bluff Dale is located on U.S. 377, 14.5 miles northeast of Stephenville, Texas.
 
Historic CR 149 Paluxy River Suspension Bridge, 1891, Bluff Dale, TX:
This highly unusual cable-stayed bridge was built using iron pipes, rods and castings by William Flinn in 1891. Wrapped wire cables complete the 140-foot bridge span. This technological wonder remains the earliest known cable-stayed bridge in the United States. A Texas Historical Marker is located near the bridge. Bluff Dale is located at the intersection of FM 2481 and U.S. 377, 14.5 miles northeast of Stephenville, and 15.6 miles southwest of Granbury, Texas.
 
Granbury Wi-Fi Network:
This Wi-Fi network covers approximately 10 square miles. The city offers several network plans for monthly subscriptions. The daily rate for visitors is $5.95. Monthly rates are also available for visitors. (817) 573-1114, Ext. 1159.  
 
Hood County Courthouse, 1890:
This Brazos limestone courthouse was designed in second empire style by courthouse architect W. C. Dodson; Dodson also designed the Park County Courthouse. The Granbury Courthouse square was the first town square in Texas to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. These 2010 Hood County census was 51,182. (817) 570-3200. 100 East Pearl Street, Granbury, TX 76048. Email