Contact
 
 
County
Deaf Smith
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - null
2000 Census - null
Nearby
Towns
Hereford, Texas
null
Hereford Texas History:
In 1899, when the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway was completing a line from Amarillo to Farwell, Blue Water was established as a rail stop. The U.S. Postal Service rejected the name Blue Water because there was another Texas town with the same name. The town was renamed Hereford after the area’s Hereford cattle ranches. Within a year, Hereford had 532 residents. Because Hereford was getting rail service, voted Hereford to replace La Plata as the Deaf Smith County seat. The La Plata courthouse was moved to Hereford by wagon, and was used until the 1910 courthouse was completed. Hereford incorporated in 1903, had the incorporation annulled, but reincorporated in 1906. The Monday Afternoon Club organized the town's first library in 1910. It became the city library in 1919, and became the county library in 193. Also in 1910, the town's Catholics remodeled the old courthouse into St. Anthony's Church. Hereford became known as Windmill City because over 400 windmills in provided water for the residents and businesses. Sugar beets and wheat were the main crops during the early years. In 1910, D. L. McDonald was successful in creating the first irrigation well in the area. By the 1930s and 1940s, irrigated farming had become common. The city's reputation as the "town without a toothache" began in 1948, when Dr. F. M. Butler attributed local dental health to natural fluoride in the area's water. When Butler's discoveries were later verified by the Texas Department of Health, Hereford’s water was in worldwide demand, and its grains were sold in health food stores. The beginning of the area’s vegetable industry began with the establishment of the Hereford Potato Growers Association’s shed. The World War II POW camp held mainly Italian prisoners. Because Hereford is located in a major grain producing area, the feeding of cattle is the town’s main industry with over 3 million cattle being fed in stockyards within a 50 mile radius of town. Hereford is the 3rd largest milk producer in the state. Other important industries include sugar beets and cotton. Hereford has been hosting the nation’s largest all girl rodeo every August since 1975. The town is billed as the “Beef Capital of the World.” Hereford is located at the intersections of U.S. 385, U.S. 60 and SH 211, 52 miles northeast of Muleshoe, 44 miles southeast of Adrian, 48.8 miles northeast of Farwell, 30.6 miles south of Vega, 48 miles southwest of Amarillo, 31 miles southwest of Canyon, 53 miles northwest of Tulia, and 21 miles northwest of Dimmitt, Texas.
 
Deaf Smith County Courthouse, 1910:
The marble faced courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architects Chamberlain & Chamberlain. Deaf Smith County is named for Erastus “Deaf” Smith, a partially deaf scout and soldier of the Texas Revolution. The 2010 Deaf County census was 19,372. (806) 363-7000. 136 East 3rd Street