Contact
 
 
County
Galveston
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 500
Nearby
Towns
High Island, Texas
null
High Island Texas History:
High Island sits atop a salt dome, 38 feet above sea level. The town is the highest point on the Gulf of Mexico between Mobile, Alabama, and Campeche, Mexico. The name is credited to Anson Jones who in 1845 referred to the area as “the High Islands.” Charles Cronea, Jean Lafitte’s cabin boy, retired to High Island in 1845. He is buried in the High Island Cemetery. His pegged cypress log house was restored in the 1970s. Martin Dunman, the first Anglo settler, moved to High Island in 1845 after receiving a league of land as payment for his participation in the Texas Revolution. The High Island post office opened in 1897. Sam Smith purchased the mineral springs In the 1890s, and operated them as a tourist destination until the business was destroyed in the Great 1900 Storm. The town has had operational oil wells since the 1930s. High Island is a nationally famous destination for bird watchers, particularly from April 1 through May 15th. The town has an unusual amount of wooded areas which is uncommon along the upper Texas Gulf Coast. Sea Rim State Park is located nearby in Jefferson County, but is inaccessible by SH 87 because that portion of SH 87 has been closed since 1990. High Island is located on the Bolivar Peninsula on SH 87 and SH 124, on the eastern side of Galveston Bay, 21 miles south of Winnie, 47 miles south of Beaumont, 19 miles northeast of Crystal Beach, 33 miles northeast of Galveston, 8 miles northeast of Gilchrist, and 26 miles northeast of Port Bolivar, Texas.
 
Bolivar Peninsula:
The peninsula is a narrow strip of eroding land stretching 27 miles along the Texas Gulf Coast in a northeasterly direction. It is three miles wide at its widest point between Crystal Beach and Caplen, Texas. It is 0.25 miles wide at its narrowest point where Rollover Pass divides the town of Gilchrist. Less than three miles of water separate the southwestern end of the peninsula from Galveston Island which is located southwest of the peninsula. The body of water between the southwest end of Bolivar Peninsula and the northeast end of Galveston Island is named Bolivar Roads. Bolivar Roads serves as the marine entrance from the Gulf of Mexico to Galveston Bay. The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway extends the length of the most northern side of the peninsula. Access to the Bolivar Peninsula by land is only possible through southern Chambers County (SH 124 from Winnie down to High Island). A free, 24 hour ferry runs between the most northeastern tip of Galveston Island and the most southwestern tip of Bolivar Peninsula at Port Bolivar. Towns on the peninsula include Gilchrist, Crystal Beach, Caplen, Port Bolivar and High Island.Much of the peninsula land is undeveloped and the state has severely restricted land use. Permitted beach activities include driving personal vehicles and golf carts on the beach, building reasonably sized bonfires, and camping near the dunes. Driving 4 wheelers on the beach is prohibited. Bolivar Beach Parking Stickers are required. Porta-potties are available at the convenience stores located on the highway.
 
Port Bolivar-Galveston Island Ferry on SH 87:
The ferry runs from Galveston Island to the town of Port Bolivar on the Bolivar Peninsula.
This free ferry operates every 20 minutes, 24 hours a day. The 2.7 mile trip takes approximately 18 minutes. The ferry operation consists of five boats, each of which can carry approximately 70 vehicles, 500 passengers and six crewmembers. Each ferry is capable of carrying eight 18-wheel trucks weighing 80,000 pounds each. All of the boats are double-ended with a pilothouse on each end; The Captain changes from one pilothouse to the other to go in the opposite direction. The ferries are named Bibb Gilchrist, R.C. Lanier, C.C. Greer, Ray Stoker, Jr., and the R.H. Deman. (409) 795-2230. Aerial Map
 
Gulfway Motel and Restaurant:
They serve good home cooking. (409) 286-5217. They are located at 1365 SH 124.