Contact
 
 
County
Lavaca
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,550
2000 Census - 2,345
Nearby
Towns
Hallettsville, Texas
null
Hallettsville Texas History: 
In 1831, John Hallett received a land grant on the Lavaca River from Stephen F. Austin; after his death in 1836 his wife Margaret Hallett donated land for the townsite; the town is named after her. The Hallettsville post office was established in 1849. In 1852, Hallettsville beat out Petersburg in the election for county seat of the newly formed Lavaca County. Hallettsville won the election, but Petersburg disputed the results. The dispute was not resolved by the courts until 1860. During the dispute the “The Archives War” occurred in which the citizens of Hallettsville went to Petersburg and took the county records which had been removed during the dispute. Hallettsville incorporated in 1870, surrendered its charter in 1875, and reincorporated in 1888. In 1875, the town had 1,700 residents; many of them were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and Germany. In 1887, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built a line through town enabling Hallettsville to become the principal trading center and shipping point for area farmers and ranchers. By 1892, the town had an electricity plant and waterworks. By the early 1900s the town had gained such a reputation that it would eventually be included in Ripley’s Believe it or Not. According to historian Boethel, in 1900 Hallettsville had 13 newspapers, 13 saloons, 13 churches, and an empty jail. Hallettsville is much changed today. Hallettsville is home to St. Mary’s Parish Catholic Church, one of Texas’ famous Painted Churches. Today the economy is largely based on agriculture, cattle ranching and the Pepsi Cola Bottling Group. Hallettsville is located on the Lavaca River at the intersections of U.S. 77 (North Texan Street), U.S. 90, FM 530, FM 957, FM 318 and FM 340, 34 miles south of La Grange, 17 miles south of Schulenburg, 39.5 miles southwest of Columbus, 25 miles southwest of Weimer, 59 miles northwest of El Campo, 45 miles northwest of Edna, 45 miles north of Victoria, 53 miles northeast of Moulton, 34 miles northeast of Cuero, 26 miles northeast of Hochheim, 18 miles northeast of Yoakum, 14.5 miles east of Shiner, 12.5 miles northeast of Sweet Home, 14 miles southeast of Moravia, 33 miles slightly southeast of Gonzales, and 30 miles southeast of Flatonia, Texas.
 
Lavaca County Courthouse, 1897:
The courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by famed architect Eugene Heiner. Heiner would have been a rival to famed courthouse architect J. Reily Gordon if he hadn’t died at age 42. Only the Hallettsville and Columbus courthouses are representative of Heiner’s style; the others he designed have been altered over the years. The closest example of Heiner’s other work is the Gonzales Old Jail Museum. This Hallettsville courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Lavaca County census was 19,263. 109 North La Grange Street.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services. Photos 
 
Painted Church of the Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary, 1896, Hallettsville:
The church architect and builder are unknown. The church was painted in 1945 by Arthur Fatjo, an American who received training in Hamburg Germany with the Bijoa Studios. The church is a wood frame building designed in Gothic Revival style; the steeple provides a prominent visual landmark. St. Mary’s is considered the oldest rural Catholic parish in the state. Originally known as Brown’s Settlement, the community was composed primarily of settlers from Kentucky and Missouri. Reverend John Mary Odin, who later became a Bishop, visited in 1840 and reported a church under construction at that time; the church was to be named St. Mary’s after the parish church in Barren’s, Missouri. Costing $4,000, the present church was constructed in 1896, while Reverend Louis P. Netardus (who was from St. Mary) served mainly at Hallettsville, the nearby seat of Lavaca County. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church’s annual parish picnic is held at the Knights of Columbus Hall in June. (361) 798-2128. The church is located at 1648 FM 340, Hallettsville. Mass & Confession Schedule 
 
Lavaca Historical Museum:
Exhibits include historic artifacts, photos, household furnishings, the Old-Timers Baseball Hall of Fame, a restored carriage house, an outhouse, and other things of historical importance. Open Tue, 9am-1pm; Wed-Fri, 9am-4:30pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Mondays. Tours are available by appointment. (361) 798-4113. 413 N. Main Street.
 
Texas Championship Domino Hall of Fame Museum:
This museum is located at the Hallettsville Knights of Columbus Hall. The hall hosts the annual Texas State Championship Domino 42 Tournament and inducts new members into the Hall of Fame in January. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-11am. (361) 798-2311. The hall is located at 321 U.S. 77 South (Victoria Highway). Email 
 
Texas Fiddler’s Hall of Fame Museum:
This museum is located at the Hallettsville Knights of Columbus Hall. The hall hosts the annual Texas State Fiddlers Frolic the last weekend in April. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-11am. (361) 798-2311. The hall is located at 321 U.S. 77 South (Victoria Highway). Email 
 
Victoria College Vocational Nursing Program at Hallettsville:
The Zelda L. Allen School of Nursing was established in Hallettsville in 1948 and became affiliated with Victoria College of Victoria Texas in 1984. (361) 798-2289. 1410 North Texana Street, 77964.
 
Friench Simpson Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 8:30am-5:30pm; Wed & Fri, 11:30am-5:30pm; Sat, 9am-12 noon; closed Sunday and Monday. (361) 798-3243. 705 East Fourth Street. Email