Contact
 
 
County
Sabine
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 1,198
2000 Census - 1,106
Nearby
Towns
Hemphill, Texas
null
Hemphill Texas History:
In 1858, Sabine County residents elected to move the county seat from Milam to a more central location. In 1859, E.P. Beddoe chose the location, platted the town and moved the county records to the new town of Hemphill, named after John Hemphill. Hemphill’s growth was slowed due to a lack of roads in the central part of Sabine County. During the 1880s, the main mode of transportation was the Sabine River which forms the eastern boundary of the county. In 1884, Hemphill had two churches, a school, a cotton gin, a lumber mill, a newspaper, twice weekly mail, and 350 residents. In 1912, the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway built a line through Hemphill; the line was abandoned in 1938. The 1969 completion of the Toledo Bend Reservoir added tourism to the town’s economic base. The 1908 Sallie Pratt House was destroyed by fire on July 3, 2010. This much loved 7,000 square foot house was being restored for use as a museum. Hemphill is located within the Sabine National Forest on the west side of the Toledo Bend Reservoir at the intersections of SH 87 (Sabine Street), SH 184 (Main Street) and FM 83 (Worth Street), 57 miles east of Lufkin, 32 miles east of Broaddus and the Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Angelina National Forest, 61 miles southeast of Nacogdoches, 57 miles southeast of Joaquin, 43 miles southeast of Center, 26.3 miles southeast of San Augustine, 13.4 miles southeast of Geneva, 7 miles south of Milam, 11 miles northeast of Pineland and the Moore Plantation WMA, 26 miles northeast of Brookland on the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 41.6 miles northeast of Jasper, Texas., and 14 miles west of the Texas-Louisiana border.  
 
Pendleton Bridge, Milam & Pendleton, TX:
This bridge is located on Texas SH 21/Louisiana SH 6. It spans the Toledo Bend Reservoir between Texas (near Hemphill), and Many, Louisiana. A Louisiana Visitors Center is located on the east side of the bridge. Boat ramps, marinas, lodging, restaurants, grocery stores and other amenities are located in this area.
 
Sabine County Courthouse, 1906:
The courthouse was designed in Beaux-Arts style by architect A.N. Dawson. The building’s clock tower and dome were destroyed in a 1909 fire and were never replaced. The courthouse has been restored and the original outside curved steps have been rebuilt; a seal was added to the second story floor. This courthouse is an almost exact replica of the former 1906 Jackson County courthouse in Edna. Domino players regularly gather on the corner of the square beneath an ancient cedar tree. The 2010 Sabine County census was 10,834. (409) 787-3543. 201 Main Street.
 
Sabine County Jail, 1904:
The jail was built out of bricks from the local kiln of Henry Huffman. The interior was remodeled in 1925 by the Southern Steel Company of San Antonio. The four cell jail houses Texas’ oldest remaining gallows. The jail was used until 1982. It is located adjacent to the Sabine County Courthouse, and currently houses the Sabine County Jail Museum and Library. 201 Main Street. 
 
Patricia Huffman Smith Remember Columbia Museum:
In February 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia broke up in East Texas. Debris fell rained down on Hemphill. Immediately after the disaster, Hemphill formed the Sabine County Columbia Memorial Committee in hopes of someday building a museum. Years ago, Al Smith built a library for Hemphill because his wife, Patricia Huffman Smith, had read that a young girl in Hemphill longed for a town library. Patricia died of Cancer in January 2010. In memory of his wife, Al Smith funded the $600,000, 3,400 square foot Remember Columbia Museum building. Exhibits depict the history of the Columbia Space Shuttle. Special areas are offer displays and the stories of each crewmember who lost their lives, and of the helicopter pilot and the U.S. Forest Service employee who lost their lives during the recovery effort. NASA and family members of the downed astronauts donated memorabilia for displays. The 95 seat Dr. W.T. Arnold, Sr. Theater is available for event rentals. Open Mon-Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, 1pm-5pm. The museum is closed on major holidays, including Easter, July 4th, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. An admission fee applies. (409) 787-4827. The museum is located adjacent to the public library at 375 Sabine Street
 
Historic Sabine County Jail and Museum:
The 1904 jail building now houses the Sabine County Jail Museum and Virgie Speights Memorial Library. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Sabine County. A piece of rope used in the first of two hangings is displayed in the museum. The original cells and hangman’s noose and trapdoor are located in the building. The first hanging took place outside; the second hanging took place inside. The jail was used until 1982. The Memorial Library was established by Drayton Bennett Speights in memory of his wife, Virgie. The library houses a large collection of historic books, genealogy materials, county court abstracts, tax and census records, and cemetery records. Admission is free. Tours are available. Open Wed-Sat, 9am-2pm; admission is free. (409) 787-1421. The museum is located adjacent to the on the courthouse square at 210 Main Street.    
 
Historic Gaines-Oliphint House Museum, 1818:
This double pen planked dog trot house is the oldest standing hand hewn log structure in the Texas. It is thought to have been built in 1818 on the James Gaines plantation in the Gaines Ferry settlement on the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historical Trail. Sam Houston, Davy Crockett and Stephen F. Austin were provided lodging in this house. An ancient white oak tree is located on the property. The Gaines Ferry site was inundated by the waters of the Toledo Bend Reservoir in the late 1960s. This building is the only surviving building from the settlement. In 1984, Mrs. Tom Foster donated the house and two acres for the purpose of historic restoration. In 1999, the Sons of the Republic gave this house to the James Frederick Gomer Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas who is in the process of raising restoration funds. The largest fundraiser is the annual Pioneer Trade Day held the third Saturday in April. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.From the junction of SH 21 and SH 87 in Milam, Texas, go east on SH 21 for 6.4 miles to the subdivision. Go north on Cedar Grove Road and drive 0.1 miles to the stop sign. Turn right on Harbor Boulevard and proceed 0.2 miles to the Gaines-Oliphint House on the right. Email Hemphill Chapter 
 
JJ.R. Huffman Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. An adjoining 95 seat Dr. W.T. Arnold, Sr. Theater and the 25 person capacity Reading Room are available for event rentals. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-:30pm. (409) 787-4829. 375 Sabine Street.
 
Hemphill BBQ:
(409) 787-1814. 3285 Old Sabine Town Road. Reviews  
 
The Feed Store:
(409) 787-3333. 310 Worth Street. Reviews
 
El Tio Mexican Restaurant:
(409) 787-3974. 650 SH 87 North.