Contact
 
 
County
Hamilton
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,095
2000 Census - 2,977
Nearby
Towns
Hamilton, Texas
null
Hamilton Texas History:
In 1855, James M. Rice and Henry Standefer opened Hamilton’s first store. In 1858, Hamilton became the county seat of the newly formed Hamilton County. The Hamilton post office was established in 1861. The Civil War and Indian threats slowed the town’s growth over the next two decades. The town had 200 residents in 1873, but grew to 1,100 residents by 1896. Between 1907 and 1908, the Stephenville, North and South Texas Railway extended a line from Stephenville to Hamilton, enabling Hamilton to become a commercial and shipping center for area farmers and ranchers. Hamilton incorporated in 1911. Between 1910 and 1940, the population grew from 1,548 to 2,716. Today banking, retail and manufacturing are important to the town’s economic base. The native limestone courthouse, built in 1887 to replace the previous two which burned down, now also serves as the county museum. Hamilton calls itself the dove-hunting capital of Texas and holds an Annual Dove Festival at the late-summer opening of the dove-hunting season. Area fishing lakes include Edison, Joseph, Baptism Hole, McCasland, Stevens and Hamilton City Lake. Hamilton is located at the intersections of U.S. 281, SH 36 and SH 22, 33 miles southeast of Comanche, 33 miles southeast of Proctor and Proctor Lake, 35 miles southeast of Dublin, 40 slightly southeast of Stephenville, 47 miles southwest of Glen Rose, 21 miles southwest of Hico, 51 miles southwest of Laguna Park and Lake Whitney, 33.5 miles southwest of Meridian and Meridian State Park, 37 miles southwest of Clifton, 32 miles northwest of Gatesville, 45.6 miles north of Lampasas, 41 miles northeast of Goldthwaite, and 60 miles east of Brownwood, Texas. 
 
Historic Bullman Bridge, 1884:
This Whipple cast and Wrought Iron Bowstring Bridge was constructed by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland Ohio. It is one of the most complete of the surviving bowstring bridges in Texas, and one of only 74 surviving bowstring bridges in the nation. The bridge is located on the north end of Pecan Creek Park.
 
Hamilton Municipal Airport:
Amenities include fuel, 10 new 42 by 44 foot enclosed T hangers, a new 65 foot enclosed hanger, tie downs, enclosed vehicle storage, and a lighted runway. A courtesy car is available by calling the Hamilton City Hall at (254) 386-8116 or the airport at (254) 386-3939. The airport is located on the west side of U.S. 281 (South Rice Street/American Legion Memorial Highway), two miles south of Hamilton.
 
Hamilton County Courthouse, 1886:
The original center portion of this limestone courthouse was designed in second empire style by architects Mason, Martin, Byrnes & Johnson. The 1931 additions of the north and south side wings, the towers and the east and west side columned porticos were designed in classical revival style by architect E.M. Miles. Free Wi-Fi is available anywhere on the courthouse square. The 2010 Hamilton County census was 8,517. (254) 386-1290. 102 North Rice Street, Hamilton, TX 76531. Email 
 
Hamilton County Jail, 1938:
The art deco style jail houses the Hamilton County Museum. The original jail cells are located on the ground floor and the museum is housed on the second floor. 113 W. Henry Street.