Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 160
2000 Census - 160
Guthrie, Texas
Guthrie Texas History:
In 1883, W.H. Guthrie, a leading stockholder in the Louisville Land and Cattle Company, acquired land in the area. In 1891, A.C. Thackitt platted the town and built the first residence. That same year, Guthrie beat Ashville in an election to be chosen King County seat, and the Guthrie post office opened. In 1892 Charlie Bradford constructed a one room schoolhouse using lumber purchased in Seymour. Guthrie serves as the main headquarters of the Four Sixes (666) Ranch. Most homes in Guthrie are occupied by ranch employees, and are owned by the ranch. Guthrie is located on the South Wichita River on U.S.82/SH 114 and U.S. 83, 58 miles east of Crosbyton, 59 miles southeast of Matador, 28 miles south of Paducah, 61 miles southwest of Crowell, 33 miles west of Benjamin, 35 miles northwest of Aspermont, and 33 miles east of Dickens, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
King County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office at (806) 596-4411.
King County Courthouse, 1982: 
This modern brick building was designed by architect T. Renfro. King County has the third smallest population of any county in the United States. Only Loving County, Texas and Kalawao County, Hawaii have smaller populations. The 2010 King County census was 286. The courthouse is located on Morrison Street. (806) 596-4411.
King County Jail, 1894:
The jail is constructed from red sandstone. The second story was removed in 1917. It is located adjacent to the 1914 courthouse on Morrison Street.
Four Sixes Ranch & Supply House & 6666 Ranch Artifacts:
The legendary quarter horse and Black Angus cattle ranch was established by Captain Samuel “Burk” Burnett with 100 head of 6666 branded cattle in 1868. The ranch now encompasses 275,000 acres near Panhandle and Guthrie, Texas. Burnett’s supply house and office were located in Guthrie. The building still stands and now operates as a general and hardware store. The original cash register, safe and early account books and still housed in the store. 1102 Dash For Cash Road, Guthrie. (806) 596-4424. Visit to purchase goods, or by appointment to view 6666 artifacts.  
Guthrie CSD & King County Library: 
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, fax and copy services, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library is free to all Texas residents. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm. The library is located inside the northeast corner of the Guthrie school building at 301 Jaguar Lane. (806) 596-4069.   
King County Birding:
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
King County Bird Checklist with Photos
Pitchfork Land & Cattle Co. Ranch Hunting, 182,450 Acres:
The historic Pitchfork Land & Cattle Company Ranch has approximately 182,450 acres in Texas and Oklahoma, and is owned by the Williams family of St. Louis, Missouri. Over 165,000 acres are located in Texas’ Dickens and King counties near Guthrie, Texas. The ranch runs hormone-free Black and Black Baldie cattle. The ranch economics are diversified into a general store, oil, grain production, and deer, bird, and other game hunting. Mesquite Country Outfittersmanages the hunting operations. They offer guided hunts for quail, white-tailed deer, mule deer, turkey, dove, wild hog and varmints. Lodging and meals are provided for most hunts. The ranch is located approximately 17miles east of Dickens, TX. Ranch: (806) 284-2223. Hunting: (806) 892-2144. (806) 407-8808. Lodge: (806) 596-4685.  Ranch Email   Hunting Email   Directions   
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations
Guthrie Lake:
The lake is located southwest of town off CR 415.
Wichita River:
The river has three branches. The North Fork arises six miles east of East Afton in northeastern Dickens County and flows east 100 miles through King, Cottle, and Foard Counties to meet the South Fork and form the Wichita River proper in northeastern Knox County. The Middle Fork rises in north central King County and flows northeast thirty-five miles to join the North Fork in southwestern Foard County. The South Fork rises in eastern Dickens County and flows east through King and Knox Counties for approximately 100 miles to its confluence with the North Fork near the Knox-Baylor County line in northeastern Knox County. The Wichita River proper flows northeast across Baylor, Archer, Wichita and Clay Counties for ninety miles to join the Red River just east of Henrietta, Texas. The river passes through Wichita Falls, Texas. River lakes include Diversion Lake in Archer County, Lake Kemp in central Baylor County, and Lake Arrowhead just south of Wichita Falls, Texas. Fish Stocking History
Matador Wildlife Management Area Information:
This 28,183 acre Wildlife Management Area is located 7 miles north of Paducah at the end of FM 3256. It was purchased in 1959 for the purposes of wildlife research, wildlife management, and public use. Habitat includes mesquite uplands, oak range land and gravelly hills consisting of red berry juniper and mesquite mix, and bottomland. Activities include camping, horseback riding, driving tours, hiking, hunting and fishing. Amenities include two 0.10 acre fishing ponds, the Pease River, designated primitive camping areas, horse pens and roads. The WMA is open year round except during special permit hunts. A special use permit or hunting permit is required. Some roads require a 4-wheel drive vehicle with plenty of ground clearance. For more complete WMA information, go to the Matador WMA Home Page. From Paducah, take U.S. 83 North to FM 3256; drive to the end of FM 3256. The WMA is located 7 miles north of Paducah.
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar