PAGE NOT FOUND
Gonzales Texas History:
In 1825, James Kerr surveyed the town of Gonzales, the capital of DeWitt's colony. The town was named for Rafael Gonzales, governor of Coahuila and Texas. The settlers abandoned the settlement is July 1826 after two Indian raids. In 1827, the settlement was reestablished on the Guadalupe River, 2.5 miles southeast of the confluence of the Guadalupe and San Marcos Rivers. In 1832, 16 leagues of land were given for the townsite; Byrd Lockhart surveyed the townsite that same year, and included seven squares in the town plat; the squares form a cross in the 48 block historic district. At the time of the Texas Revolution, Gonzales was the most western of the Anglo settlements in Texas, and was the closest settlement to the Mexican town of San Antonio de Bexar. Gonzales is famous for theOctober, 2, 1836"Come and Take It" battle, the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution, and for the March 13, 1836 Runaway Scrape which occurred after the Battle of the Alamo. After the eighteen minute "Battle of San Jacinto" ended the Texas Revolution on April 21, 1836, the Republic of Texas government incorporated Gonzales and established Gonzales County with the town of Gonzales as its county seat. On August 11, 1940, many Gonzales volunteers participated in the Comanche "Battle of Plum Creek" near present day Lockhart. The Gonzales Baptist Church was built in 1841. The Gonzales College opened in 1851, and the first Gonzales Inquirer was established in 1853. In 1860, the town had 1,703 residents. It incorporated in 1880. In 1884, it had six churches, a daily mail service, four schools, a courthouse, two banks, a 500 seat opera house, gas and water works, gristmills, cotton gins, several stores, and 2,900 residents. In 1874, Gonzales and Harwood were connected by a railroad spur line. Gonzales began shipping cotton, cotton seed, pecans, wool, hides, cattle and horses. The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a line to Gonzales in 1885. By 1900, Gonzales had 4,297 residents. Other than a period of time during the mid-1920s, the population has grown steadily over the years. Gonzales is located on the Guadalupe River at the intersections of U.S. 183, U.S. 90, SH 97, SH 111, FM 794 and FM 532, 2 miles southwest of the confluence of the San Marcos and the Guadalupe Rivers, 32.5 miles southeast of Lockhart, 18 miles southeast of Luling, 13 miles southeast of Ottine and Palmetto State Park, 12.5 miles southeast of Harwood, 62 miles southeast of Austin, 50 miles south of Bastrop, 41.5 miles southwest of Schulenburg, 29 miles southwest of Flatonia, 18 miles southwest of Waelder, 32 miles northwest of Sweet Home, 26.9 miles northwest of Yoakum, 18.5 miles northwest of Shiner, 17.6 miles northwest of Hochheim, 28.5 miles northeast of Nixon, 22.8 miles northeast of Smiley, 8 miles northeast of Cost, and 74 miles northeast of San Antonio, Texas.
Gonzales County Courthouse, 1885-1887:
The courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by famed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon. The building is made of St. Louis red brick; it has a Spanish tile roof, many Moorish arches, and an old Clock Tower. Inside the courthouse are three 1800s paintings by German artist and emigrant Carl Reuter. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historic Landmark. Many historical buildings are located near the courthouse. A James W. Robinson Historical Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. The 2010 Gonzales County census was 19,807. The courthouse is located at 414 St. Joseph Street, Gonzales TX 78629.