Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 8,803
2000 Census - 7,076
Nearby
Towns
Hondo, Texas
null
Hondo Texas History:
In 1881, the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built through the county from the east and platted Hondo City. The first lots were sold in October of that same year. The Hondo City post office was established in 1882; the name was changed to Hondo in 1895. Ownership of the eastern half of the township was disputed in court, and the suit stopped all development until it was settled in 1891. Hondo won the 1892 county seat election beating out Castroville. The new courthouse was built in 1893 on land donated ten years earlier by the railroad president. Hondo became the trade center for area ranchers and farmers. Many of the town’s downtown buildings were built out of D’ Hanis brick during the town’s heyday. Hondo incorporated in 1942. Also in 1942, the 3,675 acre Hondo Army Airfield was established. The base was shut down in 1946 though civilian contract flight training and pilot screening programs for Air Force cadets continued. The City of Hondo now owns the base. John Russell Crouch, the person who helped put Luckenbach, Texas on the map with the help of Waylon Jennings, was born in Hondo and adopted the town’s name as his own. In 1853, Western writer Louis L’Amour’s book, “Hondo, made the town of Hondo famous as a Western town. Hondo is located on the west side of the intersection of U.S. 90 and SH 173, 42 miles northeast of Uvalde, 20 miles east of Sabinal, 8.7 miles east of D’ Hanis, 52 miles southeast of Vanderpool, 42 miles southeast of Utopia, 40.5 miles southeast of Concan, 29 miles south of Bandera, 32.7 miles southwest of Mico, 43 miles southwest of downtown San Antonio, 16 miles west of Castroville, 25.8 miles northwest of Natalia, 21.4 miles northwest of Devine, and 43 miles north of Pearsall, Texas. 
 
Hondo Welcome Sign:
Hondo’s welcome sign states, “This is God’s Country, Please don’t drive through it like Hell.” Click on the above link for photos. The “Please” was added in the 1940s.   
 
Medina County Courthouse, 1892:
The limestone courthouse was designed by architects Martin, Byrnes & Johnson. The clock tower was removed in 1941; the wings were added in 1942. 1100 16th Street. The 2010 Medina County census was 46,006. (830) 741-6020. 1502 Avenue K. The courthouse is located north of the railroad tracks at SH 16 and FM 462.