2000 Census - 215,768
Garland Texas History:
The communities of Duck Creek and Embree fought over a post office for several years. In 1887, Congressman Joseph Abbott solved the problem by submitting a bill to Congress to move the post office to a place between the two towns. The new site was called Garland. By 1890, Garland had four churches, three gristmills, three cotton gins, a roller flour mill, hotels, general stores, several other businesses and 478 residents. It incorporated in 1891. In 1899, a fire destroyed all but two of the towns businesses, including the newspaper. By the mid-1920s, the population was over 1,400. In 1927 much of the town was destroyed by a tornado. 17 people were killed including former Mayor S.E. Nicholson. The Nicholson Memorial Library opened in 1933. In 1915, Texas Power and Light placed four electric lights around the town. A group of Garland citizens then purchased a generator and established a city utility. In the early 1920s, the town dug a 2,300 foot well and built an overhead storage tanks so the town residents could have running water and flushing toilets. Several aircraft plants were constructed in Garland. In 1940 the population of Garland was 2,233. Today Garland has a variety of industries that employ local residents; many residents also commute to Dallas for work. Duck Creek runs through the town. Garland is located on the western shore of Lake Ray Hubbard at the intersections of IH-635 Beltway, SH 66 and SH 78, 48 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 25 miles northeast of Irving, 12 miles northeast of Dallas, 17 miles east of Farmers Branch, 57 miles southeast of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 45 miles southeast of Denton, 30 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 11 miles southeast of Plano, 7.4 miles southeast of Richardson, 24 miles southwest of McKinney, 43 miles southwest of Greenville, 10 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 5 miles west of Rowlett, 31.5 miles west of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 30 miles northwest of Terrell, 37 miles northwest of Kaufman, 12 miles north of Mesquite, 47.5 miles north of Ennis and Lake Bardwell, 42 miles northeast of Waxahachie, 31 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, and 27 miles northeast of Joe Pool and Mountain Creek Lakes and Grand Prairie, Texas.