2000 Census - 15,538
Gainesville Texas History:
In the 1840s, the Peters Colony began offering 640 acres family men, 320 acres to single men, and church acreage in each settlement that developed. In 1850, Mary E. Clark donated 40 acres on Elm Creek for the Gainesville townsite. The Gainesville post office opened in 1851. Indian attacks and the Civil War slowed the town’s growth. After the Civil War, the town and county began to grow as Gainesville became a supply point on the cattle trail to Kansas. It incorporated in 1873. After the 1886 arrival of the Santa Fe Railway and the 1887 arrival of the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western Railway, Gainesville became a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers. Gainesville survived the ending of the cattle drives because of the high price of cotton. The mid-1920s discovery of nearby oil helped Gainesville weather the late 1920s fall in cotton prices and the Great Depression. The national success of the Gainesville Community Circus also helped stabilize the town’s economy. The 1942 establishment of Camp Howze, an infantry-training center, contributed to the town’s growth during World War II. The fort remains of the fort are visible at the junction of FM 1202 and IH-35, northwest of Gainesville. The historic Red River and Elm Bridges are located near Gainesville. The historic Turner Hotel (501 East California Street) has been converted into an apartment building. Gainesville is located seven miles south of the Red River and the Oklahoma border at the intersection of IH-35/U.S. 77 and U.S. 82, 49 miles north of Lewisville, 32.6 miles north of Denton, 19.8 miles north of Sanger, 12 miles north of Ray Roberts Lake, 53 miles northeast of Decatur and the LBJ National Grasslands, 39 miles east of Montague, 15 miles east of Muenster, 6.6 miles east of Lindsay, 24 miles southeast of Saint Jo, 40 miles southwest of Denison, 33.6 miles southwest of Pottsboro, 14.6 miles slightly southwest of Whitesboro, approximately 14 miles southwest of Lake Texoma, 34 miles west of Sherman, 64 miles northwest of McKinney, 35 miles northwest of Pilot Point, and 22.7 miles northwest of Collinsville, Texas.
Medal of Honor Host City Program & Medal of Honor Park:
The Medal of Honor is the United States’ highest military honor that can be awarded to soldiers who exhibit valor above and beyond the call of duty. The city hosts an annual Medal of Honor Banquet for groups of Medal of Honor recipients. When completed, the Medal of Honor Park will feature a granite monument with a water feature.
Texas Travel Information Center:
The twelve Texas Travel Centers are managed by the Texas Transportation Department (TXDot). All are staffed by professional travel counselors who help travelers with routings and provide information on points of interest, events, and road conditions. Open daily, 8am-5pm; 8am-6pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day; closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter, New Year’s Day, and Thanksgiving. Travelers can also call the toll free line, (800) 452-9292. Road conditions are available 24 hours a day on the toll free line, and travel information is available 8am-6pm. The line also has information on fall foliage trails and spring wildflower trails.The Gainesville center is located at 4901 N. IH-35; (940) 665-2301.