Contact
 
 
County
Hill
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 8,456
2000 Census - 8,232
Nearby
Towns
Hillsboro, Texas
null
Hillsboro Texas History:
In 1853, Hillsboro was established as the county seat of the newly established Hill County. Thomas M. Steiner donated 220 acres for the townsite. The town was named Hillsborough, in honor of Dr. George W. Hill, a surgeon from Tennessee. The first school opened in 1853. The Hillsborough post office was established in 1854. In 1881, Hillsboro incorporated and the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad built a line to Hillsboro and established railroad shops in the town. In 1888, the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas of Texas (the Cotton Belt) built a line to Hillsboro. In 1888, the town was renamed Hillsboro. By 1890, Hillsboro had a population of 2,000, six churches, a new courthouse, three banks, a cotton compress, several cotton gins, a flour mill, stores, an opera house, and two weekly newspapers. By the 1920s the population was 7,000. Hillsboro Junior college was founded in 1923. It closed in 1950 and reopened in 1962. Aquilla and Katy Lakes are partially located within the Hillsboro city limits. Hillsboro is located at the intersections of IH-35/U.S. 77, SH 81, and SH 171/SH 22 (Corsicana Highway), 53 miles southeast of Glen Rose, 53 miles southeast of Fort Worth, 29 miles southeast of Cleburne, 39 miles southwest of Ennis, 33 miles southwest of Waxahachie, 41 miles southwest of Corsicana, 30 miles northwest of Dawson, 24 miles northwest of Hubbard, 34 miles north of Waco, 38 miles northeast of Meridian and Meridian State Park, and 12 miles northeast of Lake Whitney and Whitney, Texas.
 
Hill County Courthouse, 1890:
The courthouse was designed in second empire style by courthouse architect Wesley Clark Dodson. The courthouse suffered a devastating fire on New Year’s Day, 1993. Willie Nelson held the “Blaze to Glory” benefit concert on the courthouse grounds to help raise money for the restoration. The restoration took six years and cost over nine million dollars. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The 2010 Hill County census was 35,089. (254) 582-3271. 214 East Elm Street, Hillsboro, Texas 76645. Call the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce for tours. (254) 582-2481.